We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whitewater rafting--advice?

Which Telluride hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
602 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Whitewater rafting--advice?

We are visiting Durango this summer...we will take a two-night "side trip" to stay in Ouray and also explore Telluride. This will be our third visit to the area and we are really looking forward to it!

Both of our previous trips have included whitewater rafting trips on the Animas, but we are exploring the possibility of a different river, hopefully with faster water, even though we know that coming in July means lower levels on the rivers.

Here's the problem...our youngest will be 7 1/2 next summer, is the size of an average 9 year old, and says that he is "bored" by the lower Animas...after last summer's trip on the Nantahala (in North Carolina) he's ready for faster waters...class II-III, just like last summer. (this will be his fourth whitewater rafting trip)

So...does anyone have suggestions re: different rivers and specific rafting guide companies? I'm posting this in both Durango and Telluride forums in the hopes that someone can help out.

Casey

Montrose, Colorado
Level Contributor
587 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whitewater rafting--advice?

I don't know a lot about rafting -- but do you have time to go over to Moab, UT? From there you could raft cataract canyon.

http://www.utah.com/raft/rivers/cataract.htm

I think that is one of the 'bigger' rafting adventures around this area.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,069 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whitewater rafting--advice?

The Grand Junction/Fruita area is the starting point of some awesome whitewater rafting - Class III and IV in Westwater Canyon on the Colorado River. There are a couple of companies that I know of that run regular day trips here.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,025 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whitewater rafting--advice?

I believe the San Miguel and Dolores Rivers are II-III, but the minimum age may be 10 or 12.

Were you happy with the company you rafted with before? They may offer trips with a little more zip.

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
602 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whitewater rafting--advice?

Thanks to all of you for your replies...I haven't been on TA for a few days (been busy with something called "Mardi Gras" ;-) but after reviewing your responses, along with those in the Durango forum, I've been in touch with a few outfitters, and have selected one that will take us on the San Miguel, young son and all.

We're definitely looking forward to visiting the area next summer!

5. Re: Whitewater rafting--advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 pm, October 17, 2009