We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Its so hard to get there!

Brazil
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Its so hard to get there!

Hi!

We're planning on coming in from Moab (with a rental car) and after a couple of nights in Telluride we need to head back to Keystone.

Question - Should we return our car in Montrose, get a shuttle to Telluride, another one back and the Greyhound to Frisco?

OR

Keep the rental car to make it to Telluride, use it during our stay and maybe return it in MOntrose just before heading on to Frisco by bus or even, driving to Keystone as well?

The reason we ask is that shuttles to/from MOntrose to Telluride are so expensive, but then there's also parking fees and the fact that we dont have experience driving on snow (being from Brazil).

Any insights would be of great help!

Tks!

Jackie

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,212 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Its so hard to get there!

Jackie, when is your trip?

The road from Montrose to Telluride is well travelled and we have lots of sunshine so the snow usually doesn't last too long on the highway. Chances are good that you would be just fine keeping your rental car to go to Telluride. You may not even have any snow until you get within 10 or 15 miles of Telluride, and even then the road will likely be pretty clear. That said, there is always the chance that you will arrive in a snowstorm and the shuttle might be worth the peace of mind.

Going on to Frisco is a little more chancy once you get past Glenwood Springs and into the higher elevations. Again, the route is very well travelled and well plowed when it snows, but you certainly could run into a snowstorm. Chances are you would be fine, but there's that peace of mind thing again! I don't know anything about the bus schedule from Montrose to Frisco...if you decide not to drive, you might also look into taking the Amtrak train from Grand Junction to Frisco. We took the train in late fall to Denver one year and it was great...beautiful scenery...we saw deer and eagles and the train was clean and comfortable. I remember there was a stop in Frisco.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,455 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Its so hard to get there!

^Are you sure you don't mean Fraser? I am 99.9% sure that the train does not stop in Frisco.

Montrose, Colorado
Level Contributor
598 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Its so hard to get there!

You would be able to park the car in Telluride for free in some spots. There is a lot in town that allows overnight parking and is free. I believe the garage in Mountain Village does too.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,714 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Its so hard to get there!

Absolutely there is NO train stop in Frisco (there is one in Fraser, which is far away). The greyhound bus does come into the Frisco transfer station. If it were me and you have enough time, just drive, people do it all the time. If it starts snowing more than you are comfortable with then pull over in some mountain town and spend the night. It's an adventure! Have fun, good luck!

Brazil
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Its so hard to get there!

We appreciate the replies, tks a lot!

There is a Greyhound from SLC to Montrose and from there to Frisco. We're just wondering how uncomfortable they can get, from other posts we saw here. However, it works fine to just enjoy the ride and not worry about the drive, although we then need to take the shuttle from Montrose to Telluride.

Which is okay anyway, since we can relax once we get there as we're gonna stay at the Tempter House! (Yeahright!)

Tks for the input!

Jackie

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Its so hard to get there!

Hello Jackie07,

What time of the year did you plan on coming and how many days do you have?

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,212 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Its so hard to get there!

Sorry for the incorrect Amtrak info...I thought I remembered Frisco and the Amtrak schedule even says Frisco...I checked it before posting...but That's why the input from local experts is so important.

Jackie, it sounds like you've got a great attitude that will make a successful trip no matter what comes your way...have fun!

8. Re: Its so hard to get there!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, October 12, 2009