We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing in Telluride Colorado

Rogers, Arkansas
Level Contributor
121 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Skiing in Telluride Colorado

Help!! I have almost finalized our ski vacation to Telluride and I am told by my dentist that Telluride is hard skiing. We have skiied blues in Park City/Deer Valley, Keystone, and Steamboat Springs with no trouble. We are easy to medium blues level. Are there enough of those runs in Telluride to keep us happy? Thanks

Telluride, CO.
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skiing in Telluride Colorado

The San Juan mtns. are steep and the valley/mesas are flat. Therefore, Telluride has excellent expert and beginner terrain. The least amount of options here would be the "blue" intermediate terrain. The trail map has a fair amount of "blue" on it, but understand that some would be "blacks" at other resorts and some would be "greens." Unlike the summit county area, we do not have endless moderate slopes.

Look on the bright side, you will become a stronger skier here!

Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skiing in Telluride Colorado

And I always recommend taking ski school. There are classes for all ability levels and ages and you might discover you enjoy blacks (or more) and are no longer shying away from them. Once that happens a huge array of resorts and terrain will open up to you.

Telluride, CO
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Skiing in Telluride Colorado

The mountain is 24% beginner, 38% intermediate, and 38% advanced. There is plenty of intermediate terrain on lifts 4, 5, 10, and 12

Telluride, CO.
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skiing in Telluride Colorado

Again, don't be fooled by the amount of "blue" that is painted on the trail map. There are really only about six true intermediate runs on the whole mountain. I still wouldn't cancel your trip though, you'll love Telluride!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
468 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skiing in Telluride Colorado

I took my 7 year-old daughter skiing in Telluride this past February, and I had not skied in five years. It was The Best Beginner/Easy-Medium Intermediate I've skied. And I used to be the biggest Vail snob. It was beautiful. And the mountain is so big, we never got bored with the runs in our skill level. And No Lift Lines was extremely pleasant. I can't say enough good about Telluride skiing. We can't wait to go back this next ski season.

Rogers, Arkansas
Level Contributor
121 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skiing in Telluride Colorado

OK, Can anyone compare Telluride to Crested Butte? Are they similar as far as size, runs, lifts, ski in out accommodations, price? I am ready to book!!!

Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Skiing in Telluride Colorado

Telluride has great beginner + intermediate trails and a good ski school. My wife and I learned to ski / board there years ago. Lift 10 and up to Ute park is almost entirely beginner terain with a couple of easy blue options (my mother in law skied Sundance on her third day after 1 lesson, no big deal). On lift 4 you can come down on a green and jump onto short sections of blue runs and then back onto the green. Also, you can go all the way to the top of the mountain at prospect bowl (incredible views) and come down all the way on a green run.. ....however at the top parts of these runs are cat walks.

Bottom line, You dentist is wrong - Just don't go bombing down any double blues. Telluride has a lot to offer any level- as easy or as nastry as you want. Throw in the scenery, great (happy) people and no lift lines and it is a sure bet.

Leave the car at home and stay in the Village Core. Way more pedestrian / family oriented (no cars) than Telluride and close to the type of skiing (geen/blue) you will be doing. It is really easy to get to town via the gondola.

Enjoy.

Telluride, CO.
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Skiing in Telluride Colorado

Your dentist was right. You should floss more... ...and there is a lot of steep skiing in Telluride. I think I know, I've skied over 1,600 days here!

Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Skiing in Telluride Colorado

M_H... how many of those days were on lift 10. I'm guessing about the first 3----if that. That someone can come out and learn to ski in Telluride does not diminish your 1600 epic days on the mountain.

Telluride, CO.
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Skiing in Telluride Colorado

I have taught skiing for five years at Telluride.... I am aware of the existence of the beginner runs-trust me! The original question was regarding the amount of INTERMEDIATE runs here. The fact is, Telluride is lacking in that department. (so is; Jackson Hole, Snowbird, Crested Butte, etc...) So I answered the question truthfully. There are more beginner and expert runs than there are intermediate runs. That's all. That's the facts.

Isn't the whole idea of this forum? To cut through all the "sugar-coated" marketing, and talk truthfully with folks that know what they're talking about?