We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt village or town?

washington dc
3 posts
Save Topic
Mt village or town?

My first trip to Telluride will be this summer- should I stay on town or Mountain Village?

Austin, Tx
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mt village or town?

Town. :) Closer to the activities for the most part unless you are a huge golfer. Mountain Village is nice, but it does not have the charm of Telluride itself. My $.02

Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mt village or town?

I second the vote for town as well. In my humble opinion, there is NOTHING in mountain village except the hotels you might stay in.

washington dc
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mt village or town?

Well, checking into what's availalbe on short notice for July, I'm debating between renting a much larger mega-luxury house 5 mins outside of mt village (San Juaquin road), vs. a comfortable but much smaller house in town (W. Pacific St.). Having never been, its a hard call for me from Washington DC. Any further thoughts?

North Platte...
Level Contributor
366 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mt village or town?

Howdy thomas,

Stay in town!

Happy trails,

SandBilly

Austin, Tx
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mt village or town?

Town, town and more town. The smaller house is a better bet as you will be able to park your car and not use it again while there. Staying in a nicer place outside of town means a car trip for every meal or other adventure.

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
674 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mt village or town?

We stayed in Telluride Mountain lodge last August, and truly enjoyed the beautiful scenery from our balcony. We never minded the gorgeous trip down to town on the gondola. We took it at least 3 times a day. Parked in free parking up on the mountain, and easily walked around the town. It is not very big, you know. Except for the Hotel Telluride, which didn't impress me, the lodging is older in town. My 2cents for what it's worth,. The homes up at top of gondola are spectacular!

7. Re: Mt village or town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:33 pm, July 07, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
674 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mt village or town?

I'm sure that I am a lot older than you. I started coming to Colorado in the fifties, if that gives you an inclination. Those were they days when everything was unspoiled and the vulgarity of people spending vast amounts of monies on these mansions was just not done. I was happy to have a cabin with running water on the river somewhere. Telluride is the most pretentious of any of the resort towns in Colorado, with the exception of Aspen, which is utterly ridiculous. I thought the restaurants were absurd with the pricing. Having said that, if a visitor wants to stay in a nice place, the homes are there and that is that. I suggested that only because if I could afford to stay in one of those homes, I would.

Montrose, Colorado
Level Contributor
601 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mt village or town?

staying in town is better. especially if you are with family or friends because everyone can come and go (walking) and you don't all need to drive into and out of town at the same time. also there is currently a lot of road construction on the road into/out of town and that short drive could be a lot longer.

washington dc
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mt village or town?

I'll stay in town for my first visit- thx for all the comments!