We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Steamboat airport shuttle service

Which Steamboat Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Braunfels, TX
Level Contributor
141 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Steamboat airport shuttle service

Could someone recomend ground transportation in Steamboat? (airport to ski area condo).

It looks like either Alpine Taxi or Storm Mountain Express.

I believe their fares are the same but I found a 10% discount for Storm Mtn. Exp. Any difference between the two?

texas
Level Contributor
68 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Steamboat airport shuttle service

We had a very good experience with Storm Mountain! Last year we used Storm Mountain and were very pleased! There didn't appear to be any difference in the them and Alpine in some ways-same vans, left at same time to get people to hotels(when we arrived), etc. The LINES where shorter for Storm Mountain when we arrived in Steamboat, as it didn't seem that they are quite as busy as Alpine. I also found Storm Mountain to have GREAT customer service! My son left his new 'Steamboat' hat on the bus when we were transported back to the airport for departure (going home). He was devastated, as it was new (and the souvenier he had chosen) and the driver had already left the airport to go back into town. The personnel at the airport told us that they would radio the driver, get him to bring it to them when he came back to the airport, and then they would mail it to us. Needless to say, I thought we had seen the last of his hat, but they mailed it to my son within a week. Now that's what I call customer service....we were gone, so they had no obligation to us, but they went to the trouble to mail a small lost item! We are heading back to Steamboat next weekend and are definitely using Storm Mountain again! Long story, but I think it speaks volumes for what you see from most Steamboat companies....Storm Mountain Express exemplified great Steamboat customer service!

hawaii
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Steamboat airport shuttle service

My wife and I called Alpine Taxi to pick us up at the Denver airport and take us to Steamboat. They were to pick us up at 6:00 pm. We waited till 8:15pm and called them. They said they could not make it due to the weather. They refused to refund the charge on the credit card and were very rude, spoke to Jojo. She said since the reservations were made the same day as pickup they do not give any refunds even though they are the ones who did not show up. Unbelievable!

UK
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Steamboat airport shuttle service

HawaiiBag

Since you must have paid by credit card, phone your credit card company and dispute the charge. If they are unable to provide the service, then they have no right to keep the money.

We have only used Alpine Taxi from Hayden (not Denver) and haven't had a problem with them.

How did you get to Steamboat?

UCC

O-Town
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Steamboat airport shuttle service

We have used both and made it to the hotel and back safely each time.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Steamboat airport shuttle service

Stay clear of Alpine Taxi service!!!

We are so angry at the stupid shuttle service from Steamboat Springs to Denver airport for mucking us around today

The series of mistakes made by Apline Taxi's are as follows:

At a cost of $300 US for a door to door shuttle we were deposited at Ski Time square with no idea where our condo was as they apparently didn't know how to find it. We were standing in heavy snow and had to ask for help from locals to gain entry. That trip took a very long 5 1/2 hours. The driver was constantly distracted and swerving from one side of the road to the other.

To top that off, he actually ran off the road with the van getting stuck fast in snow. Fortunately another motorist stopped and towed the bus out. That experience was completely frightening with all on board screaming as it seemed the bus was going to go over the edge but luckily the pile of snow on the side of the road stopped it from going over the edge.

When I called to confirm the pick-up details for our return trip to Denver - Alpine Taxi's had put us down as flying on a domestic flight from Denver !!! (Air Canada!!)

I confirmed this three times as i was concerned about missing this flight and we were reassured three times that it was fine allowing 4 hours travel time.

This morning they picked us up 20 mins late and we also stopped for a 15min rest stop at Silverthorn. After all passengers were ready to leave and back on the bus, the driver went into the shop and wasted 15 mins buying his own food and drink.

In a nutshell, the trip took 6 hours !!!! instead of the 4 hours we were confirmed for. We missed our flight by half an hour which could have been made up for by their poor/tardy service. The driver also talked continuously on his cell phone while driving (this is actually illegal in Australia and for very good reason) meaning he was driving with only one hand on the steering wheel.

We've now had to pay for a night's accommodation in Denver as well as we still have to pay for the accomodation at our intended destination.

Stay well clear of Alpine Taxi's. If I was to do this trip again I would definately fly into Hayden airport instead of Denver.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,799 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Steamboat airport shuttle service

^What a terrible experience!

Thanks for the warning.

You should file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau:

BBB of the Mountain States

WWW: http://mountainstates.bbb.org

Email: info@mountainstates.bbb.org

Phone: (970) 484-1348

Fax: (970) 221-1239

8020 S. County Road 5, #100

Fort Collins CO 80528

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Steamboat airport shuttle service

Thank you Babalax,

I'm just starting to check out the web site and take further action.

Regards,

Magellan Melbourne

rocky mountains
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Steamboat airport shuttle service

Yes plenty! We had a terrible experience with Alpine Taxi last year. They made us stand out in a snow storm for "our" bus, while six busses sat out in the parking lot! We took Storm Mountain Express this year and they treated us like royalty. The driver had a weather report and the kids watched a movie on the way in. Courteous driver, clean bus. I went to the web site and saw that the discount comes when you book online.

rocky mountains
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Steamboat airport shuttle service

Yes plenty. I had a terrible experience with Alpine taxi. They made me wait out in the snow storm for a certain bus, when there were six busses in the lot. Storm Mountain took us in this year. Clean, courteous driver. Kids watched a movie on the way in. We were all treated like royalty.

Washington DC
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Steamboat airport shuttle service

I recommend avoiding Alpine "Taxi." Perhaps it is my expectations, but the name of this company is a misnomer. This is a bus, not a taxi. It took over an hour for Alpine "taxi" to get me from the airport to my condo -- a direct route would only take about 20 minutes. On the way back to the airport, Alpine "Taxi" insisted that they needed to pick me up more than 3 hours before my flight. This is because my condo was one of the first stops on their trip. They had several stops to make before getting me to the airport. Alpine "Taxi" said that they would charge $180 to make other arrangements and refused to refund any money already paid. Aside from this, they only informed me of the 3 hours needed to get to the airport about 20 minutes before the scheduled pick up time. Only use Alpine taxi if you want expensive and unaccommodating "service."

We ended up taking Storm Mountain. Not only were they flexible, but they provided a video for the kids to watch during the ride.