We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon Advice Please

United States...
Level Contributor
388 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon Advice Please

Hello,

I will be getting married in Dec 2007 and we are thinking about staying in Steamboat for our honeymoon. I enjoy skiing on the green and my fiance is good on the green & blue. We would really like a ski in/ ski out place, any ideas?. Our last two ski trips were to Breckenridge so we are lost on things to do in Steamboat, places to eat, shop, nice walking around, and nice places to go have coffe & a muffin on a winter morning. I just want to make sure that Steamboat is a place where we can have a nice, loving honeymoon. Any advice is welcome. Thank you!

Ashley

UK
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon Advice Please

Hi Ashley,

What sort of budget ($ per night) are you looking at for accomodation? Do you want hotel or condo?

United States...
Level Contributor
388 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon Advice Please

UpperClassChick,

Are budget is open. We have stayed in a condo in breck and loved it so I think we would like to do the same again. We would like it close to the lefts if not ski in/ ski out. We would also enjoy walking around the town window shopping. Also, we enjoy waking up early to have coffee or coco together in a nice warm felt place. Althought we would like advice for a nice place to have a romantic dinner we also enjoy local pizza places that everyone loves. I hope this info will help you help us. Thank you.

Ashley

United States...
Level Contributor
388 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon Advice Please

UpperClassChick,

Are budget is open. We have stayed in a condo in breck and loved it so I think we would like to do the same again. We would like it close to the lefts if not ski in/ ski out. We would also enjoy walking around the town window shopping. Also, we enjoy waking up early to have coffee or coco together in a nice warm felt place. Althought we would like advice for a nice place to have a romantic dinner we also enjoy local pizza places that everyone loves. I hope this info will help you help us. Thank you.

Ashley

United States...
Level Contributor
388 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon Advice Please

UpperClassChick,

Ashley

United States...
Level Contributor
388 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon Advice Please

O gosh, sorry! I have no idea how I got it to post three times.

UK
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon Advice Please

Gosh you ARE Excitd!

Ok, IF you could do with ski-in/ski-out, then I would recommend the Steamboat Grand - I think this would be fantastic for a honeymoon (http://steamboatgrand.com/GrandHome.aspx).

It is a full service condo-hotel and is 200 yards walk from gondola square (where you can get a gondola up to mid-mountain or you can get a chairlift). The Grand has ski and heated boot storage in gondola square (so you don't have to lug your ski stuff backwards and forwards...).

I would go for a one-bedroom condo (steamboatgrand.com/GrandInt.aspx…). Request one with a "king bed and whirlpool bath" - these are FABULOUS. You have a full kitchen/sitting/dining room, a seperate bedroom with TV and fireplace, en-suite with a big whirlpool jacuzzi and seperate walk-in shower and probably a second bathroom. Try to get a mountain view if you can too (but getting the deluxe floorplan - above - is more important... all views are good)

The Grand has a fabulous pool and hot tubs (the best in Steamboat). Gym, sauna, steam and a day spa. An upmarket restaurant, a snack bar, a coffee bar and room service (so if you don't want to cook or eat in a restaurant, you can order in).

The Grand is just across the street from Gondola Square (which has a few shops and coffee/snack places), it is also a 5 minute walk from Ski Time Square (which has more shops, restaurants, bars etc). The Grand also has a shuttle service which will take you to Downtown (for more shops, restaurants and bars) and the supermarkets. The Grand is also just across the road from the free shuttle station.

There are other condo properties that have ski-in/ski-out:

- Bear Claw is a personal favourite (http://bear-claw.com/Default.asp). Very homely, best ski-in/ski-out location on the mountain, but NOT walking distance to anything at all (although they have a good free shuttle).

- Torian Plum condos (http://www.torianplum.com). Just steps from ski-in/ski-out and right on Ski Time Square (so great for shop/bar/restaurant convenience).

- Chateau Chamoinix (http://www.chateau-chamonix.com/). Ski-in/Ski-out.

- Christie Club (http://christieclub.com/fl_home.html). Great ski-in/ski-out location, very upscale. There is a private 2 bedroom available here - http://www.vrbo.com/97309 - although it might be stretching your budget possible. Worth looking at.

There is also a Sheraton Hotel which has a fantastic ski-in/ski-out location and it is right on top of Gondola Square and a short walk from Ski Time Square. It's a good hotel, but the hotel rooms are frankly disappointing (have stayed in a renovated room and it in NO way measures up to a condo...). They have condos at the Sheraton too, but you would pay $700 per night (or $1000 per night for a good one) - not worth it in my opinion...

On balance for a honeymoon... if you are looking for luxury, good location, great facilities, happening place, then I would go for the Grand. The only downside of the place is that it is not ski-in/ski-out.

Just let me know if I can give more information on the Grand, any of the other properties I have mentioned or if nothing I have talked about is "quite right" (I can think of other places :-) ).

United States...
Level Contributor
388 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon Advice Please

UpperClassChick,

Yes, I am excited, lol. Thank you so much for taking the time to give me all that great information and adding other places in it as well. As I said before we have never been to Steamboat so I am going to rely heavly on this board for great advice. The Grand seems to have it all and any other information you can give would be great, but I dont want you going out of your way to much. Its nice to know we can store our boots close to the lifts. We stayed in this little nice place one year in Breck and had to walk to the shuttle, which was not to far from us, but in those boots it was killer. The worse was our return trip to the hotel, b/c it was up hill. LOL, never again. Thanks again for your help, and please let me know of anything else you think we should know.

Ashley

UK
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon Advice Please

Hi Excitd

It is a pleasure to help! We are firm Steamboat fans and like to share our enthusiasm with others :-). This January will be out 7th season in a row at Steamboat...

The Grand is a LITTLE bit of a walk about 200 yards, but they do have the ski/boot storage at Gondola Square. Wear your regular footwear between the hotel and the equipment storage: your boots will be stored there and will be dried out by boot dryers each night... From the boot storage, it is just down a flight of stairs and within a 100 yards you are either in the gondola building or on the slopes.

I think that the Grand is a GREAT place for a first stay in Steamboat - you will have a great stay there.

The other place to look for information and opinions on Steamboat is forum.steamboat.com - there are a LOT mopre regular posters there (I post there, but under a different name).

9. Re: Honeymoon Advice Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, August 21, 2009