We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Compare Lines New Years (Dec 31-Jan 2) vs. President Wkend

Which Steamboat Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Watkinsville...
Level Contributor
94 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Compare Lines New Years (Dec 31-Jan 2) vs. President Wkend

My options are New Years or Presidents Day weekend! Can anyone help me compare these times as far as crowds go? I prefer April but hey you do what you can?

What is a long lift line at Steamboat? 15 minutes - 25 minutes

Do you think somewhere like Monarch, Abasin, or Loveland might be less crowded during those times?

thanks!

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Compare Lines New Years (Dec 31-Jan 2) vs. President Wkend

Base at SB is busy in morning but 25 min is a stretch I think. Either time is busy but new years is probably heavier. Monarch, ABasin, Loveland are not destination resorts so yes they'll be less crowded. Know that base elevation at those 3 is way higher than the Boat.

www.onthesnow.com/colorado/ski-resorts.html

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,736 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Compare Lines New Years (Dec 31-Jan 2) vs. President Wkend

Agreed with tex. Both weekends will have some of the heaviest crowds and longest lines of the year. Any of the three other resorts you mentioned will be less crowded.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,477 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Compare Lines New Years (Dec 31-Jan 2) vs. President Wkend

Lots of people don't make it out New Years day. I have always found it a great day to ski!

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Compare Lines New Years (Dec 31-Jan 2) vs. President Wkend

Agree with alli about New Years day. A lot of folks don't make it out or come out very late. I would do the New years weekend over Presidents week. Numbers are always highest on the Pres. weekend.

Hint, get up early in the AM and beat the crowds. You will be ahead of everyone until late in the morning. Big powder days being the exception. Everyone gets up early for those.

Watkinsville...
Level Contributor
94 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Compare Lines New Years (Dec 31-Jan 2) vs. President Wkend

Thanks! My family really had a great time at SB last April.

I love to get out early and ski through lunch. It looks like late Dec will be the deal.

I appreciate you experts! I am praying for your state during this flooding!

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Compare Lines New Years (Dec 31-Jan 2) vs. President Wkend

I would agree with all about the other 3 being less crowded since they aren't destination resorts. Last year President's weekend was the busiest weekend here with lift lines being maybe 15-20 minutes at the gondola. New Year's Day is a great day to ski though if you can make it out in the morning!

7. Re: Compare Lines New Years (Dec 31-Jan 2) vs. President Wkend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, September 20, 2014