We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

by car to Steamboat Springs from Denver

Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
by car to Steamboat Springs from Denver

We are retired Aussies, not used to driving in snow, but travelling around CO in last week of April and first week in May. What are the chances we will get caught in snow or black ice when

driving to Steamboat Springs from Denver?

Are we better off staying elsewhere and driving for the day?

thanks!

Kremmling, Colorado
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: by car to Steamboat Springs from Denver

You NEVER KNOW be prepared cotrip.org is a great resource. You can get to Steamboat two ways hwy 40 over Rabbit Ears or hwy 134 over Gore pass through Yampa and Oak Creek. Rabbit Ears is higher and more traveled. Gore is lower pass almost never is closed but can be less traveled. I live at the top of Gore and enjoy going one way and back the other.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,933 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: by car to Steamboat Springs from Denver

I would not worry too much about it. Just pay attention to local weather at the time. It's a spectacular drive, especially over Rabbit Ear's Pass. Hitting ice and snow would be possible, but unusual and would be based on local conditions on the day of travel.

Have fun.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
943 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: by car to Steamboat Springs from Denver

Based on our recent snows, you may encounter some on the drive over Rabbit Ears Pass but it should be minor. Might even have a thunderstorm or two.

Of course there may not be anybody in town when you get there as the locals flee to warmer climes at the end of ski season on 14 April. ;)

Cheers

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: by car to Steamboat Springs from Denver

Coming from Denver later this month, is it quicker to take 9 to 40 into SS or 131 off of I-70? Are roads safer one way or the other? Thanks!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Steamboat Springs
Level Contributor
533 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: by car to Steamboat Springs from Denver

It is usually best if you start your own thread but the quickest way to Steamboat is I-70 to Hiway 9 at Silverthorne and then to 40 in Kremmeling.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: by car to Steamboat Springs from Denver

Thanks for the reply.

7. Re: by car to Steamboat Springs from Denver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, December 12, 2014