We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic drive from Steamboat Springs, CO

Steamboat Springs...
1 post
Save Topic
Scenic drive from Steamboat Springs, CO

What"s the most scenic drive from Steamboat Springs, CO to Lake Tahoe, Nevada? We'll be traveling with two cats, and need to stop at cat-friendly hotels.

Thanks for your reply.

Colorado
Level Contributor
11,666 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic drive from Steamboat Springs, CO

You may want to post this in the Road Trips forum also: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,370 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic drive from Steamboat Springs, CO

As noted, definitely post on Road Trips. That being said, not a lot of options unless you want to deviate from the quickest route. It's an easy trip, just take 40 to Park City and hook up to I-80. Just drove the Park City to Tahoe route yesterday afternoon. It's basic desert driving which we find interesting. Taking US50 would give you some diversity but a slightly longer route. If you're in summertime the Lehman Caves at Great Basin Park are nice (near Ely, NV).

You'll probably want to split the trip up. Park City would be a great overnight. It's pretty easy to make it to Tahoe from there.

Have fun.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Steamboat Springs
Level Contributor
541 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic drive from Steamboat Springs, CO

I have done the drive on US50. It is very quiet - hardly ever saw another car - but I wouldn't say its too scenic. I would think with 2 cats in the car, quicker would be better than scenic. There will also be more hotel options on 40 and I-80. There wasn't anything on US50 other than in Ely.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,825 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic drive from Steamboat Springs, CO

Quick is the word with cats (I've done that). Cat friendly hotels? hmmmm. Most often they mention dogs, not cats because cats claw furniture and perhaps spray. Be prepared with a cat carrier or else be prepared to have your credit card billed with charges for damages.

On I-80 put the pedal to the metal. Long distance truckers drive that and they don't take kindly to those who don't get on down the road. imho that's why it is the fastest, once again from my own experience. Oh, also since going over the Continental Divide is like going over a speed bump. Nothing to it.

Edited: 12:10 pm, March 21, 2013
Colorado
Level Contributor
11,666 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic drive from Steamboat Springs, CO

Several motel chains accept cats. Motel 6, LaQuinta and Red Roof to name a few. My friend moved from CA to Maine with 3 cats and I helped him find lodging along the way. I used this site http://www.petswelcome.com/

and this one http://www.tripswithpets.com/

6. Re: Scenic drive from Steamboat Springs, CO

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 23, 2014