We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions from a Novice

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
32 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Questions from a Novice

Hello, I will be skiing in Steamboat later this month. I've never skied in the mountains, and just have a few dumb questions:

1) is it possible to sell out of lift tickets? I'm wondering if I should buy my lift ticket ASAP to make sure I'm not disappointment when I arrive.

2) is there another smaller ski hill nearby where some beginners can ski for a smaller price? We will have someone in our group that has never skied before.

3) should I just buy my tickets at steamboat.com or are there better places to buy tickets? I looked through this forum and I get the impression there are no deals available.

Thanks in advance!

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,796 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions from a Novice

1) Bern, I have never known them to sell out. That being, because there is no limit that I know of. Maybe 1 million. Wouldn't they love that!!

2) There is another ski area but I wouldn't call it an easy beginner hill. Howelsen Hill is where the Steamboat Winter Sports Club trains all the up an coming future olympians. I'd have them stick to the main Steamboat ski area. Plenty of beginner terrain.

3) The best deals are usually acquired by purchasing a package. Sometimes ski ticket offers are combined with your lodging. You might inquire at Central Res or who ever you booked your lodging with. The end of February is not normally a time the ski area gives it away.

There may be some ticket deals, I just don't know of any at this time.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
943 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions from a Novice

The best (only) deals are with the packages and by the way, the daily walk up price just went up to $105 a day for a single lift ticket.

Howelsen hill downtown is a lot cheaper but definitely NOT a place for never evers. Trying to use the Poma lift would be quite an adventure to start. Better to take a lesson to start at Steamboat.

Cheers

Dublin, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
999 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions from a Novice

Although I did not see it on the website, there used to be a very limited lift ticket that would give you access to the preview lift and slope only. This hill is very small on the front side of the mountain. I believe it was still around $50/day. You could call the ticket office and see if this option is still available. However it would be very repeatitive for an entire day.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions from a Novice

Steamboat offers first time lessons that include deeply discounted lift tickets (look at the "never ever" link on the lesson page). Hopefully your friend was planning on taking a lesson anyway; doing one of these clinics, it's a great value.

steamboat.com/plan-vacation/…

5. Re: Questions from a Novice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 pm, May 31, 2013