We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging advice near the ski school area...

Floyds Knobs...
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging advice near the ski school area...

I have been to Steamboat 2 or 3 times, so I am a bit familiar with the layout. My wife and I have 4 kids (11,9,7,and 4). The last time we came (2 years ago) we stayed at the Dulany which worked great in regards to the proximity to the ski school building and slope area where the older kids are dropped off. This was before the construction started on One Steamboat. My main question is whether that construction really messes up the convenience of the Dulany and if you would recomend staying there again or not. If not, what would you recomend that is super easy access to the ski school. The only place I have stayed in Steamboat are the Dulany and Ptarmigan Inn...I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,

David

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Steamboat Springs
Level Contributor
505 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging advice near the ski school area...

The Dulany is still the closest walking distance property to the kids ski school but there is still ongoing construction adjacent to the property with the building of One Steamboat Place. You could look at Chateau Chamonix which is just up the hill from the Dulany - and an easy, 25 yard green run ski down to the ski school- or the Ptarmigan House. The are both similar to Dulany, in the same general location but less impacted by the construction.

Floyds Knobs...
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging advice near the ski school area...

I'll definitely look into the Chamonix. What about the Torian Plum or the Highmark? Any thoughts considering my kid situation?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Steamboat Springs
Level Contributor
505 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging advice near the ski school area...

The Highmark is across the street from the Dulany so add about another 50 yards onto your walk but they have a shuttle that can drop you off at the transit center. The Torian is on the Ski Times Square side of the base area so it is a pretty flat ski down to ski school but a longer walk on the snow than the Dulany. The both offer all the same amenities including a pool.

Floyds Knobs...
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging advice near the ski school area...

The cost of the three (Dulany, Highmark and Torian Plum end up being within a few hundred dollars of one another, so money is not an issue in the decision. Which would you recomend...if you were in my shoes?

Thanks,

David

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Steamboat Springs
Level Contributor
505 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging advice near the ski school area...

The Highmark is brand new but not ski-in/out and is definately full service. The Torian is in a great location close to ski school and ski-in/out but is a little older. The Dulany is great and is a great spot for ski school but it is adjacent to the construction and you have this new building framework that is towering over the property.

Floyds Knobs...
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging advice near the ski school area...

Thanks for the insight. Looks like I have some decisions to make.

God Bless,

David

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lodging advice near the ski school area...

if not already check out Highmarks website at http://www.highmarksteamboat.com/

Floyds Knobs...
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lodging advice near the ski school area...

I just hung up from talking to the Highmark (after looking at their website). The place looks exactly like what we want. My only reservation is that you walk past the Dulany to get to the ski school. I'm still leaning towards the Highmark though because of all the ammenities and the way they take care of you there. Do you have any experience with the Highmark?

Colorado
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Lodging advice near the ski school area...

If access to ski school is one of your biggest concerns, take a second look at the Torian Plum. There are some large 2 bedroom + den, and 3 bedroom condos in the Torian's Creekside building which are very high-end (they were only built in 1999). Plus there is no construction going on around the Torian AT ALL this season. ResortQuest also provides a private, on-demand shuttle.

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
473 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lodging advice near the ski school area...

appreciate your specific information regarding Torian Plum creekside...very helpful. Are the creekside condos as convenient for ski-in/ski-out as the Plaza condos? We've never been to Steamboat and are trying to get the lay of the land :)

many thanks :)