We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone familiar with Antlers at Christie Base?

Which Steamboat Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
OKC
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Anyone familiar with Antlers at Christie Base?

Hi all,

We normally go to Breckenridge over Thanksgiving. We were all looking for a change and have decided on Steamboat Springs this year. We have rented a 4 bedroom condo at the Antlers at Christie Base. The location seems good on the internet, but can anyone comment on the actual location?

We are two families - one with kids 5 & 10, the other with kids 18, 20 & 22, adults are aged 35 to 47. Are there restaurants within walking distance that you could recommend for a varied group like ours?

Thanks for any input. We love Breck, but have gone for the last 4 years in a row and really wanted some different experiences. Oh, skiers range from green to black.

Thanks,

H

UK
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone familiar with Antlers at Christie Base?

Hi

Yes, I know where Antlers is - have toured around Christie Club (the Antlers, very similar, immediate neighbour). We have been to Steamboat for the past 7 seasons (normally a couple of weeks).

Antlers is RIGHT on the slope and just off of Ski Time Square (with a selection of restaurants, bars and a few shops).

It is difficult to comment on the ski-in/ski-out convenience of Antlers right at the moment because the Steamboat area is currently under-going a MAJOR base area regrading project and having new lifts put it. Ski-in will be fine. Ski-out should be fine for adults (with poles), but MAY be a struggle for little ones without poles. It should be fine. If you have any problems, take the Antlers Shuttle and it will drop you off at Gondola Square (fairly near to ski school - I assume the kids are going to be in ski school?).

I think that it would be a great place to stay. Would love to stay there ourselves, but - with just two of us - it isn't economical.

What sort of food do you like? Within alking Distance of Antlers, I can think of:

- Cafe Diva (http://www.cafediva.com): fine dining, more intimate, not many young kids around, but I have seen some around 5 years old and impeccably behaved there...

- Slopeside Grill (http://www.slopesidegrill.com/): good variety of food, good for families, right on the slopes, good apres-ski vibe. We like it for lunch - have never been there for dinner, but I am sure it is good.

- The Butcher Shop (www.rockymountainfun.com/butchershop.html): pretty good family dining, salad bar, not outstanding, but we quite like it.

- A lot of people like the Tugboat (steamboat-dining.com/Restaurants/…). It isn't my type of place, but it is very popular. Good atmosphere.

http://steamboat-dining.com is a very useful dining resource

You could have a look at the on-mountain dining too: take the gondola up to Thunderhead for dinner - they have formal dining at Hazies and a more casual/relaxed Western style BBQ (with dancing, I think).

There are quite a lot of places in downtown and between the mountain and downtown - you could take the Antlers shuttle and check them out. A few I like are:

- Cottonwood Grill (http://www.cottonwoodgrill.com): fine dining

- Steamboat Smokehouse (http://www.steamboatsmokehouse.com/). Good value smokehouse meat etc, throw your peanuts on the floor, nice atmosphere.

- 8th Street Steakhouse (http://www.8thstreetsteakhouse.com/): Choose your entree and cook it over a big inside BBQ, salad bar, informal.

- Ore House at Pine Grove (http://www.orehouseatthepinegrove.com/): just nice, informal, family dining, including a salad bar

Also you could look at either a Sleigh Ride or a Snowmobiling dinner (not sure about the minimum age for Snowmobiling).

That's a few to start with. :-)

UCC

OKC
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone familiar with Antlers at Christie Base?

Wow, UCC, thanks for all the restaurant recommendations. I will print your post because I loved your concise descriptions.

Also, thanks for the web site. It is very helpful. I will print a bunch of the pdf files and take them with us - I find menus very helpful when deciding on places to dine for a larger group.

I am a bit worried about the re-grading project, but I am sure it will be fine. Has anyone seen the area lately?

Thanks again,

H

UK
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone familiar with Antlers at Christie Base?

Hi

Pleasure to help :-)

In all of the Steamboat condos that we have stayed in, there has been a paper copy of the dining guide (with all the menus in it) waiting for us in the condo. So hopefully you will get a copy too :-)

If you like sit down dining for lunch, then Hazies (at Thunderhead) is great for "fine dining" relaxed lunch (away from the maddening crowd). Ragnars (at Rendezvous Saddle) also does sit down "fine dining" with a more European feel (but is more crowded and hectic). As mentioned previously, we also like to come down to the base area and eat lunch at the SLopeside Grill sometimes (great burgers and pizzas). We tend to eat lunch early (sitting down by about 11.30am) and get there JUST before the rush (and don't normally have to wait for a table).

With a big group like yours, you should really make dinner reservations (otherwise you may have problems being accomodated or may have to wait) at most places.

We are also very curious about the slope regrading - we are booked into Bear Claw (our 5th season in a row!) - across the other side of the base area (and up a bit) from Antlers. Pop into forum.steamboat.com - there is a bit more information on there and quite a few locals post there (so may be able to help with your questions about the current state of the regrading project...).

Antlers looks great though - think you should have a great time :-)

UCC

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
102 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone familiar with Antlers at Christie Base?

I can't comment specifically on the The Antlers, but I would like to recommend the Western BBQ up on the mountain. It's a decent buffet and the band plays good country music. My kids (7 and 10) LOVE it. We also went with a group of adults several years ago and had just as much fun :-). If you're interested, I would call soon for reservations. They tend to book up at busy times.

Enjoy your stay! We went to Breckenridge once, but we fell in love with Steamboat. We've been to Steamboat eight trips in a row, and trip number nine is already booked :-).

Vienna, Virginia
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone familiar with Antlers at Christie Base?

Hi, we stayed at the Antlers last year in january, two families with seven kids between us ranging in age from 6 to 12. We LOVED the Antlers...every single thing about it. Our condo was gorgeous, the concierge helped us immensely with dinner reservations etc. The ski concierge is amazing...they warm your boots before you come down. We thought the location was excellent, easy ski in, a little walk with your skis for ski out. Not sure about the regrading project but will have to look into that as we are booked to return in March. i don't think you will be disappointed. I think it is the most luxurious place to stay on the moutain

OKC
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone familiar with Antlers at Christie Base?

Thanks for all the great responses.

UCC - thanks for the forum, I've alreadyi found it useful. I wonder if the on-mountain places will be open as early as Thanksgiving. I know in Breck they're not. I will check.

Luna - thanks for the Western BBQ recommendation. That sounds like something our crew would enjoy. Also, I was heartened to hear you've been to Breck and like Steamboat.

Nancy, Thanks for the encouragement re: Antlers. Our group had a bit of divergence regarding which property to book. I was on the Antlers side and so I hope it's nice as some of the others made a concession.

Thanks again!

H

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone familiar with Antlers at Christie Base?

Dining in the 'Boat: www.steamboatChamber.com for a dining guide. If something hits your eye call to book a reservation before arrival. Thanksgiving is not hugely busy in Steamboat Springs or at Steamboat but the Turkey Day buffets sell out quickly.

Antlers has been accurately described - very high end. The regrading project should only make things better for the ski in/out aspect -- although, as with any winter resort -- ski in/out is highly dependent on Mother Nature (augmented by man-made snow).

Dining on the mountain for Hazies, Ragnars, and Western Barbecue Buffet will not be open until December; if you or others are here then they can be booked through Steamboat Central Reservations. There will be luncheon dining open for skiers/riders early season. Sleigh ride dinners may not be available at Thanksgiving due to the whims of Mother Nature and due to the lack of demand during early season. LOTS of other options w/ about 90 restaurants/eateries about the town and valley.

Have a great time in Steamboat Springs and at Steamboat!!!

8. Re: Anyone familiar with Antlers at Christie Base?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:25 am, September 11, 2009