We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Place to stay with 2 small children new to skiing

ELmhurst, IL
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best Place to stay with 2 small children new to skiing

We will be visiting snowmass at the end of february 2010 and are trying to figure out where is the best place to stay. our 2 children (ages 2 and 5) will be with us. most likely our 2-year old will be in childcare at the TreeHouse and our 5-year old will be doing the ski school.

We'd like to stay somewhere fairly high-end, with a pool on-site. We'd like to be close to the treehouse. We're looking at the Snowmass Club (residences or villas), Capitol Peak Lodge (no on-site pool) and Woodland V (although i've heard mixed reviews on the true ski in/ski out of this place).

Any other recommendations? This trip is definitely a family vacation and the comfort and happiness of our kids is a primary concern.

Thanks.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Place to stay with 2 small children new to skiing

Very high end with pool, lift access and near Treehouse would be the new Viceroy. website at http://www.viceroysnowmass.com/

Silvertree would be another with pool. Also visit http://stayaspensnowmass.com/ for all places in area.

ELmhurst, IL
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Place to stay with 2 small children new to skiing

thanks for the advice. i think the new viceroy might be a little TOO fancy for us. we want something that appeals to the family crowd but with nice amenities.

New Smyrna Beach, Fl
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Place to stay with 2 small children new to skiing

Viceroy would not be the best choice since it is on Assay Hill to access the base or children's center. You would either have to walk a good distance or ride up the Assay lift and ski down to the base village. Capitol Peak, Hayden or even Crestwood would be better. As for high end, Cap Peak or Hayden is your best bet. Staying in the base is the way to go with kids though. Nothing better than having the children's center in your building or next door.

Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Place to stay with 2 small children new to skiing

Viceroy's target market isn't quite as family as the others. It's more the trendy/sexy/bar/club scene type of place. There is absolutely nothing about the Snowmass Club that is close to the slopes, in fact, it's about the farthest place away from the slopes in Snowmass.

Regarding Woodrun V, please keep in mind everyone seems to have a different expectation of ski in/ski out. That term refers to the property. Some people seem to think if they can't ski right into their patio door they were ripped off. I think they have their expectations out of line. Naturally not everyone can have that, but the property is still ski in/ski out. You may have to go downstairs, or cross a courtyard, or similar. That will be the case at every ski in/ski out property. With that in mind, anything in the Base such as Capitol or Hayden (correct, no onsite pool, they will shuttle you to Snowmass Club) will be good, Crestwood is good (it's considered a more moderate property, but they do have premier level condos that will have very high end decor), Woodrun V is good, and many others lining the ski slope around the mall and down to the bottom.

Aspen
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Place to stay with 2 small children new to skiing

Hi,

My name is Pam and I work at Stay Aspen Snowmass. We are the Central Reservations office for Aspen and Snowmass. Please give me a call or send me an email and I will be happy to help you book your ski vacations.

800 262 7736 ext 7182

pamu@stayaspensnowmass.com

New Smyrna Beach, Fl
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Place to stay with 2 small children new to skiing

Do yourself a favor and try to deal directly with a homeowner on your rental. The market is very competitive right now and owners have much more flexibility in pricing. Look at VRBO. We have our 3br Capitol Peak unit listed there and have had great luck. When we don't have to cough up 50% of the rental income we have much more negotiating room!!

As far as location goes... Woodrun V has some units that are right on Fanny Hill (low number units like 1,2,3,4,) but they are primarily 3-4 br and pricey even by base standards. We have also stayed in Woodrun Place and it was nice. You can ski right down the hill to the base and ski in pretty easily.

The ground floor units in Crestwood that are right on elk camp gondola are great too. They can be hard to get though and are small.

7. Re: Best Place to stay with 2 small children new to skiing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 pm, October 06, 2009
8. Re: Best Place to stay with 2 small children new to skiing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 05, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Snowmass Village