We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting Silverton

South Ayrshire
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
visiting Silverton

We are hoping to ride the Durango to Silverton railway in May 2012 and would like to stay overnight in Silverton what trips are available from Silverton which would be suitable for 2 seniors.

8 replies to this topic
Denver, CO
Level Contributor
517 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting Silverton

Silverton is a very cool, albeit small town. I think you could actually fit in whatever you want to do in Silverton by just taking the train from Durango. There's not a whole lot to do in Silverton when it's not ski season.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,912 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting Silverton

There are a number of small shops in Silverton and several restaurants. If you enjoy browsing in the shops you may find that 2 hours is not enough. (the amount of time train is in town) I usually drive over from Telluride and allow 4-5 hours to have lunch, shop around town and then have small snack before hitting the road again. If you enjoy hiking there are some hikes that are not too difficult that you might like.

www.SilvertonColorado.com

coloradohikersguide.com/silverton-colorado/

Avon
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting Silverton

Hey there,

This is very nice question i have received. Many many thanks for your sharing. The Durango and Silverton Railway in Durango, is staying at the Residence Inn off highway 160. This is very good place to wondering.

Thanks a lot

John R. Hardy

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,169 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting Silverton

There are a number of jeep tours from Silverton that could be available, depending on snow melt and which jeep trails are dry enough to be passable.

http://www.sanjuanbackcountry.com/index.html

Altoona...
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: visiting Silverton

Thinking of bringin out a bike from PA...Will be trailoring it. Anyone know of a place to keep a truck and trailor while we spend a few days exploring on the bike?

Grand Junction...
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: visiting Silverton

Most of Silverton is do it yourself. You can walk the road east (towards Animas Forks.) at the edge of town the old railroad is a two lane jeep trail very suitable for a walk along the river. An alternate is to hike up the side of the hill towards the Christ of the Mines shrine for a good look. There's a path and a gravel road for two alternate approaches. I googled sanjuanbackcountry.com and found tours available. You would have time to get a good tour into a number of places. I'm happy to give more ideas if you'd like

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,169 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: visiting Silverton

HpyTvlr, were you going to base in Silverton? Or Durango or Ouray? In other words, where are you going to stay first? Durango would be the most likely place to find secure storage. There are a couple of RV parks in Silverton that would probably have a place you could park your truck and trailer. And I'd also suggest checking with the hotel or wherever you decide to begin and end your trip, because they might be willing to let you park the truck and trailer there while you tour on your bike.

http://www.silversummitrvpark.com/

http://redmtmotelrvpk.com/

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,169 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visiting Silverton

I thought HpyTvlr's question sounded familiar...for future information seekers:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g33646-i8212-k4995…

Reply to: visiting Silverton
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted