We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Durango for 2 nights or Durango & Silverton??

AZ
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Topic
Durango for 2 nights or Durango & Silverton??

Hello!

Am planning a GLORIOUS week longtrip to Durango, Ouray and Telluride and am reserved on the train trip as well. Have 3 nights planned in Telluride, 2 in ouray and 2 in Durango... Would you recommend that we do one night overnight in Silverton rather than two nights in Durango (train up in am and train back next day)?? Hubby and I enjoy hiking, outdoors hence Telluride and Ouray planned -- but we also like local culture (nightlife, live bands) so didnt know if 2 nithgt in Durango or 1 night in Durango and 1 night in Silverton would be better ?? Your advice is MUCH appreciated!!

Ouray, Colorado
Level Contributor
629 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Durango for 2 nights or Durango & Silverton??

If you like nightlife and bands, 2 nights in Durango sounds better to me. Take the train up and then get on the bus to come back as the train both ways seems a bit long to me.

I think you will have a great time in SW Colorado!

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,585 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Durango for 2 nights or Durango & Silverton??

Durango has better restaurants and more options for things to do. Silverton, while atmospheric, is very small. For me, a couple of hours to have lunch and look around was sufficient.

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,851 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Durango for 2 nights or Durango & Silverton??

We took the train up and back. We also enjoyed the train back, did not find it boring, in fact enjoyed the beautiful sites again. We are adults with an attention span so we did enjoy the same sites again. I think you would enjoy Durango at night, for the music and charm. I was told much of Silverton closes down when the last train leaves. So you may not like how quiet it becomes, more night life in Durango. Consider Strater hotel...

Colorado
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Durango for 2 nights or Durango & Silverton??

Definitely Durango! Durango has some wonderful restaurants and great live music. There isn't much to do in Silverton. I'd also consider taking the bus back down. It's faster than the train and would give you more time to spend in Durango.

5. Re: Durango for 2 nights or Durango & Silverton??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, February 09, 2010