We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: Silverthorne Area 6/29 to 7/2/12

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
49 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report: Silverthorne Area 6/29 to 7/2/12

Traveling with 4 adults and 2 teens. We didn't plan our trip other than the vacation home. My dad is a "fly by the seat of your pants" person. So what we did that day was planned and reserved that morning!

Friday, June 29 - arrived in Denver and got our mini-van for the 1 1/2 hour drive to Silverthorne. We stayed in this home: http://burgundychalet.com/ What a great house!!! I don't think its owned by a management company, which is maybe why it was stocked so well. Plenty of towels, dishes, games and videos. The hot tub was awesome! I recommend staying in this area versus Vail or Breckenridge simply b/c its less expensive and you aren't too far from either of those spots.

Satuday, June 30 - we decided to travel to Royal Gorge area for the Royal Gorge Train Ride. https://www.royalgorgeroute.com/ No problem getting a reservation - the train wasn't nearly full at all. We just bought coach tickets and didn't do the lunch or glass-topped car. The train follows a creek in the gorge and it was a fantastic, scenic ride. Be sure to hang out by the conductor as he points out many unique features of the area during the ride.

We took Hwy 9 from Silverthorne to Canon City - it is very twisty and I had to take a dramamine. On the way back, we took a diff route through Leadville. We didn't stop, but it looked like a fun town.

After the train ride, we stopped at the Dinosaur museum across the street. The tour guide gentleman was really full of useful info and let us touch and feel different dinosaur bones etc that he was working on. Great place to stop if you have kids.

Right across the street from that is a Gourmet Popcorn shop. She has free tastings of the majority of her flavors! Great stuff.

Sunday, July 1 - We decided to go whitewater rafting - but wanted something for beginners. (The Royal Gorge area are class 3-5 we were told) We were able to get a tour w Adventures in Whitewater up by Kremmling. We chose the 1/2 day tour with lunch. The biggest rapids we got were a little of Class 3. Very tame. Personally, I wanted something more exciting, but my sister wanted a beginner route for the kids.

On the way down to Silverthorne - we took a diff route through Vail. Looks like we JUST missed the Farmers Market. It looked really cool.

Monday, July 2 - we left for our second half of our trip in Estes Park. We took the Peak the Peak hwy, which offered great places to stop for views and of course, cute little towns.

Ask any questions!

3 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,997 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report: Silverthorne Area 6/29 to 7/2/12

Sounds like a great trip- we've been to Vail but never to Silverthorne- will have to put that on the bucket list.

chicago il
Level Contributor
78 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report: Silverthorne Area 6/29 to 7/2/12

How far was royal gorge train from silverthorne? Sounds like a great trip!

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
49 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report: Silverthorne Area 6/29 to 7/2/12

I remember that drive taking a little bit of time simply b/c the roads were very twisty/turny. I actually got a little car sick. (I'm a wus). I believe about 2 hours with a couple stops is what it took us.

Reply to: Trip Report: Silverthorne Area 6/29 to 7/2/12
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted