We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whitewater trips

Edmond OK
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
whitewater trips

We are thinking about coming to CO next week Aug 15th. How are the white water trips this time of year and which company has the best guides?

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: whitewater trips

The water is low but running good. I was out yesterday on the Arkansas for about 5 hours - I did Brown's Canyon section. We were privately rafting and had a blast!

Go to this link and you can see pictures of people going down the river yesterday. These photos are taken in the biggest rapid - Zume Flume.

http://viewmyimages.com

Click on 'View and Order' in the left side bar, then click on 'commercial rafters'. Pick a company and then will need to enter your email address to view, but you can see all the different boats going thru the rapids. It might look a little scary!!

Go in the morning, there just alway seems to be rain in the afternoon - I prefer Performance Tours and Kodi, but all are good quality companies. Have Fun!!!

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: whitewater trips

Good to hear 1FourFun. We are booked with Performance Tours for the 10am half day in Brown's Canyon tomorrow morning. Everything is going well. Today was busy. Started at North Cheyenne Canon Park, then Pikes Peak, took 20 minutes to blow $50 in Cripple Creek, drove down Phantom Canyon Road. Checked out Royal Gorge and finally settled in Salida. I was not spending $28 for the 2 of us to walk on the RG bridge at 6pm. Took that little trail to the edge instead. The Arkansas looked nice through Bighorn Sheep Canyon on US 50.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: whitewater trips

So right about now you are probably pulling into the parking lot at PT. Sounds like you have done a lot so far! I agree PG has become overpriced. Let us know how your rafting trip today was!! The above link will allow you to see your picture from today by this evening!

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: whitewater trips

1FourFun, the trip went great. The weather broke and it was sunny for the whole trip. I just checked, and our images are 7124-7128. We are the two sitting in the second row. Those two kids behind me were pretty small. The boy weighed about 50 pounds. The guy in front of me fell off, losing his balance on one of the rapids. Now I just need to convince the wife she is ready for Royal Gorge.

Afterward, we took the short hike up to Agnes Vaille Falls. That was worth it, very nice and still flowing. Then checked out St Elmo Ghost Town as the rain started falling. We finished at Mt Princeton Hot Springs. The best part was after a 30 minute storm delay, the place cleared out. We had the place to ourselves. The creek pools were neat. The first swimming pool was 105 degrees. We did them all. Didn't get back to the hotel until 8pm. On to Crested Butte.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: whitewater trips

I saw you!!! You guys looked like you were having a blast! At first it seemed your wife looked a little nervous, but the huge smile in the last photo gave it away! Those kids did look small, but they stayed in the boat and the big guy did not, go figure! We use to have a friend who we rafted with and I swear he fell out of the boat every 200 feet, it became a running joke - I think some folks are more coordinated than others!!!

Have a blast in Crested Butte, that is such a cool town! Glad you liked the Hot Springs! Have Fun!!

6. Re: whitewater trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, October 02, 2009