We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salida highlights???

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Salida highlights???

Hi everyone,

We are looking at travelling to the Salida area for this Xmas coming. I was hoping to find out what attractions and action happens in the area during Xmas? I have undertaken a fair amount of research on the internet and found things like Monarch Ski Area, ATV trips, Winery etc. Is there also a reasonable night life? IE bars with live music from time to time. Is there a reasonable shopping area? IE. So as we can buy meat and veg etc and beer for our lodgings?

Any info would help as living in Australia the info is limited.

Cheers GregWA

Perth

West Australia

Salida, CO
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salida highlights???

Hey Greg,

Salida has quite a few things going on during Christmas. Skiing at Monarch is great, and you can cross-country ski as well. Most of the higher trails are covered by snow, so ATV'ing might not be the best activity, but there should be a few lower-elevation areas for it.

Nightlife -- there is Victoria Tavern (bar, dancing), Benson's (bar), Riding the Pine (bar), Bongo Billy's (cafe with live music fri/sat/sun). Then the last one at www.salidacafe.com.

Shopping -- I guess it depends what you want to buy. We have a Safeway and WalMart (two big grocery chains) and a few organic food shops too. Plenty of shops with beer :)

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions,

tom.

Colorado
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salida highlights???

During Christmas season, there is giant lighted Christmas tree on the a nearby hill, it is quite spectacular. Great views from right downtown. There is an offical Christmas tree lighting ceremony on November 25th. You can see a photo here:

coloradoheadwaters.com/calendar/…

This might be a little early for you, but the tree stays lighted until the New Year, so you will certainly going to see it. You can hike up the spiral drive to view the lights better.

Several events going on right at Christmas, including a Torchlight Parade at the nearby Monarch Ski Area. Read more about the winter activities here:

coloradoheadwaters.com/activities/index.cfm

caloraw

Pueblo West...
Level Contributor
380 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salida highlights???

http://www.mountainspiritwinery.com is the site for the winery and they used to do nightime dinners at the winery, not sure if they still do.

Also the Victoria Tavern usually has a live band on weekends.

colorado
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Salida highlights???

Greg,

Look into the Mount Princeton Hot Springs. This is a great place to go in the evening after skiing. The falling stars are awesome to watch while laying in the river. There is also a hot springs pool in Salida, but it is a large indoor facility and does not compare to the setting of Mt. Princeton. Hope you have an enjoyable trip.