We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motorhome east bound Pagosa to Raton

Which Pagosa Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Motorhome east bound Pagosa to Raton

I have 36 ft v12gas RV is the highway east to steep for a gas RV Via hwy160?

Golden, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Motorhome east bound Pagosa to Raton

No, it is not too steep. There has been much improvement of the road over the years. It is a major highway, and tractor trailers use the road. The alternative route, Hwy 84 to Chama then Hwy 17 to Antonito, is 40 miles longer, but is less steep going over Cumbres Pass than Hwy 160 over Wolf Creek Pass, and seems to have more pastoral mountain scenery, rather than the drama of Wolf Creek Pass.

IMHO, I like Hwy 17 over Cumbres Pass because it is less of a main highway than Hwy 160, with less traffic and thus, more relaxing. And the road is good. I did find this RV forum rv.net/forum/…22967148.cfm that said Hwy 17 was an 'easy pull', for what that is worth.

Edited: 6:05 pm, August 12, 2011
Pagosa Springs...
Destination Expert
for Durango, Pagosa Springs
Level Contributor
409 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Motorhome east bound Pagosa to Raton

I would recommend hwy 160 over Wolf Creek Pass. The speed limit is 45 mph or less to the top - which helps the gas tank. Plenty of RVs, trailers and the like drive over Wolf Creek Pass daily. The highway is wide, with plenty of shoulder.

Hwy 17 is fine, but it intersects with the Cumbres & Toltec Train tracks multiple times to the top of Cumbres and the road is not nearly as well-maintained as Wolf Creek Pass.

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Motorhome east bound Pagosa to Raton

Thank you!

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Motorhome east bound Pagosa to Raton

Thank you

5. Re: Motorhome east bound Pagosa to Raton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, October 10, 2012