We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four or six nights in Ouray?

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
647 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Four or six nights in Ouray?

We've booked 4 nights in a Ouray condo for a family wedding weekend in August. We extended our trip by 2 nights and need help deciding if we should stay in the condo another 2 nights or stay the last night in Montrose. We are flying in and out of Montrose and we have an 8am departure.

What's the drive like from Ouray to Montrose airport?

On one of our extra days, I think we'd like to take a day trip to Telluride. We're also interested in visiting Black Canyon of the Gunnison (but that could be done earlier in the trip.)

Thanks for any advice on this.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,589 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Four or six nights in Ouray?

I would stay in Montrose the last night. It is about an hour or a little more from Ouray to Montrose and you will need to be at the airport a minimum of one hour before your flight. Also,if you have to turn in a rental car that will take time also. If you are flying on a Saturday, be there much earlier, it gets extremely crowded on Sat.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,633 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Four or six nights in Ouray?

You could depart Ouray the day before you leave, have brunch at Kate's Place in Ridgway, (or lunch at the True Grit) visit the Rail Museum, Dennis Weaver Memorial Park (the giant statue of an eagle is an awesome sight) and then go on to Montrose to the Black Canyon and Museum of the Mountain West. Have dinner in Montrose...lots more options than you'll find in Ouray. We like the Camp Robber, Pahgre's, Amelia's, plus Remington's at The Bridges has the best view in town, looking south toward the San Juan Mountains. If you go to the Camp Robber, have a piece of flourless chocolate torte for me, will you?

The road between Montrose and Ouray is a good two lane highway with a few passing lanes; it is curvy in places but an easy drive. Sometimes traffic is pretty steady and can get backed up behind someone going slowly. I doubt you'd have that problem very early in the morning, but early morning has increased risk of deer on the roadsides. With that, and a flight that early, it would be better to stay in Montrose your last night, definitely.

How many are in your party? Do you need lodging suggestions?

Edited: 12:58 am, July 18, 2013
Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
647 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Four or six nights in Ouray?

Thanks to both of you for your advice and itinerary suggestions for Montrose. There will be only 2 of us for these last two days/nights. We're leaving on a Wednesday morning, so hopefully it's not too crazy at the airport.

I think it makes sense to extend the condo one more night (5 in total) and make a reservation in Montrose for the last night. I don't like to change lodging frequently during a trip, but should I consider instead spending night 5 in Telluride or just make it a day trip? Then night 6 would be in Montrose.

Yes, we could use some advice about places to stay in Montrose. Hampton Inn? Ideally we'd like to get an early check in to drop our luggage before we head out to the Black Canyon park.

Also, I welcome itinerary suggestions for at least a day trip to Telluride.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,589 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Four or six nights in Ouray?

I think a night in Telluride would be wonderful. Telluride is such a great small town to walk around, lots of cute shops, great restaurants, etc. There is a nice small museum that details the local history from the time before the white man to the present. You could go horseback riding in the mountains, take a hike. Very beautiful scenery that is totally different from the scenery of Ouray. Just the drive up to Telluride is gorgeous! I will be there for several weeks during August myself, can't wait to get out there.

When looking for a hotel, I would suggest staying in Telluride (rather than Mountain Village) for the most charming atmosphere and ability to walk to restaurants, shops, etc. Mountain Village is a "planned community" that was designed for the ski resort. It is fine, but to me is very cookie cutter.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,633 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Four or six nights in Ouray?

Telluride is doable from Ouray as a day trip, but I would also recommend staying a night there. Ditto everything endosunshine said. I love Ouray, but it is very small and dining options are limited, so after 4 days I think you'd really enjoy a night in Telluride.

Hampton Inn is very close to the airport and they take good care of visitors. If your room isn't available, I'd bet they'd be happy to store your luggage while you go to the Canyon. There are several other good lodging options, and nothing in town is very far from the airport.

If you like bed and breakfasts, there's one right downtown. tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g33559-d649141-… There's another just south of town in a renovated country schoolhouse, but it would be a longer drive to the airport.

For atmosphere, you can hardly beat the Country Lodge, which is where John Wayne and most of the cast and crew stayed when filming True Grit. I have a family member who really likes the Best Western Red Arrow. I know people who have stayed at Holiday Inn Express, too, and have been well satisfied.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
647 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Four or six nights in Ouray?

I appreciate all this information, thanks!

We are leaning towards staying at the condo in Ouray at least one more night. We'd like to book a jeep tour instead of driving over to Telluride. (Imogene Pass?) I'll call today to see about availability.

FYI, we'll have at least 3 family functions with the wedding, which reduces our free time in Ouray. and includes two evenings with dinner and one brunch.

Also, I just checked our flight information and forgot that our departure time out of MTJ changed to 9:24 am, not so early. Still same advice about staying close to the airport.?

I have to figure out when we should visit Black Canyon of the Gunnison. If the last day, then staying in Montrose still makes sense.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,589 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Four or six nights in Ouray?

Ouray is super small, only a few blocks long. It won't take long to see it all. Telluride is a little larger, but also quite small. I would still suggest a night in Telluride and the last night in Montrose. Whenever we have a flight out of Montrose prior to about 11am , we spend the previous night there. It is just too easy to have something go wrong, flat tire, etc. We usually stay at the Holiday Inn Express.

8. Re: Four or six nights in Ouray?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:56 pm, August 10, 2013
Edited: 12:56 pm, August 10, 2013
Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
647 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Four or six nights in Ouray?

We decided to stay all 6 nights in Ouray which we felt was really the best way for our travel style. The condo we chose was over the top gorgeous in the renovated Story Block building on Main St and comfortable with central air. Our daughter and son in law stayed here with us for two nights. Here's a link: www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p296621

Our trip was really a great time centered around several wedding festivities (our niece got married) and family gatherings with some hikes tucked in between, plus our two extra days.

FYI, my husband & I are 60 years young and lived in Denver long ago as newlyweds. We used to backpack and cross country ski in northern colorado but now I have challenging knees and we live on the east coast.

We visited Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP after we arrived in Montrose airport that first Thursday afternoon. Highly recommend the overlooks at this NP and also Colorado Boy restaurant in Montrose.(very, very good food and brews).

After a hike Friday morning on the Ice Park trail, we lunched at True Grit cafe in Ridgeway with family and loved the ambiance and their Friday special, fried catfish. It took an extra looong time to serve our food however. Our server was lovely, not her fault. Also enjoyed the farmer's market in the town park that afternoon.

On Saturday morning, we hiked on a flat nordic trail south of Ouray on 550. It goes by the old ghost town of Ironton. We follwed that with an early lunch on the patio at Timberline Deli in Ouray. Good choice again: attentive, friendly service and yummy sandwiches.

Here's a link to those two trails: http://www.ouraytrails.org/nordic.html

In the afternoon. Switzerland of America 4-wheeled all the wedding guests up to the Amphitheatre for the ceremony (spitting rain but it stopped for the actual event) The reception was incredible at The Beaumont with a blue grass band and excellent food and cocktails.

We loved visiting Box Canyon Falls and hiked further to see more of the ice park area. Later while soaking in the Ouray Hot Springs Pool, we saw a bear cub on the ridge nearby!

My husband & I drove Owl Creek Pass (out of Ridgeway) for a scenic afternoon and picnic at Silver Jack Reservoir. I can imagine that this is a favorite drive for everyone in the Fall with so many aspens. It's a 2W drive dirt/gravel road that was very easy and comfortable in our rental SUV. On our way home we stopped at the Dennis Weaver park. Lovely blooming sage there and that magnificent eagle sculpture as well as the pretty Uncompahgre River.

We also had one lunch and dinner at Ouray Brewery outside on the roof patio. Very recommended! Had an engaging talk with a couple from Ridgeway who asked to share a long table with us. She is a cattle rancher and he works as a horse whisperer. Hope we didn't cramp their style...looked like they were on a date (:

Our last full day, we took a day trip to Telluride, drove over Dallas Divide and stopped at Mountain Village to park there. Took the gondola down to town, walked around a lot (we're not shoppers) and shared very good fish tacos and pork green chile outside at Floradora Saloon. Drove over to see Bridal Falls (from the bottom of the falls, NOT the 4x4 trail), and then it started to rain and storm as we drove back to Ouray.

We ate at the restaurant at Chipeta Sun Lodge in Ridgeway for our last dinner. (Recommended by someone at S of A). Food and my cosmo were very good. The space was quiet, calm and beautiful.

In addition to the wedding and seeing our family, our trip to Imogene Pass with Switzerland of America was truly a highlight. Wish we could have done a second trip with them! They are a fine group of people working there. We enjoyed waterfalls, wildflowers, panoramic views, cute marmots and picas. Loved it!

Our drive over to Montrose airport was very easy. We got there early enough for our 9:30 am flight to have a breakfast sandwich freshly made at the little deli there. Thank you to the TA advisors for your advice, even though we decided to do some things differently. And thank you Colorado for your hospitality and a memorable trip!

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
89 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Four or six nights in Ouray?

you will not regret staying in Ouray six days. plenty to do. can alsonday trip to Silverton one day. or rent a cheap and do engineer pass. Plenty of hikes up the mountain side. wife and i pack a lunch with a bottle of wine and pick one of the trails to hike. Always a good time.

To be fair we are not into the people vibe scene so the more rural the better for us and peace and queit? Hence the more rural smaller population focus i tend to have in site selection.