We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peak Fall Color

Which Ouray hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
359 posts
263 reviews
Save Topic
Peak Fall Color

When are the trees at their peak color in the Ouray/Silverton/Durango areas? I'm trying to plan a late September trip. Also going to Rocky Mtn National Park.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,691 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peak Fall Color

That depends on Mother Nature, but as a general rule about the last 2 weeks of September are an excellent time.

Denver, Colorado
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Peak Fall Color

It depends on how hot of a summer it is and how quickly it turns cold. Late September should be very good but early October has always been my favorite time. We lived in Delta for many years and would make this drive often. You will love it!

Grand Canyon...
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peak Fall Color

…boxcanyonouray.com/bid/70877/Southwest-Colo… Try this link to see the discussion of colors last fall. Even at that time they couldn't pin down the best days. But don't worry, even if you don't hit the very peak, you will be impressed with the mountain scenery. And if you choose to do the Ouray/Silverton/Durango area and then head for Rocky Mtn via Grand Junction then I-70, try turning at Delta, go up through cedaredge and over the Grand Mesa. You would come out at I-70 and can continue toward Rocky MtnPark. You will pass through lots of mountains and lots of Aspen trees. You would stand a good chance of some beautiful colors!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
359 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Peak Fall Color

Thanks for your suggestions. I will look into them.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,186 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Peak Fall Color

Late September was perfect in the Rockies-- however-- I was greatly surprised that this past fall, we drove the San Juan skyway the 3rd week in Oct and the aspens were all still just gorgeous in thier fall colors.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Peak Fall Color

Same experience here. Fall colors 2nd week of october in 2010 were gorgeous.

7. Re: Peak Fall Color

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:25 am, February 11, 2013