We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another question

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,443 posts
442 reviews
Save Topic
Another question

We will be spending the night in Grand Junction. The next morning we want to tour the Colorado National Monument NP in Fruita then tour some of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP in the afternoon. We have reservations for the night in Ouray. Can all this be done in a day and get to Ouray in time for dinner? Thanks

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,524 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another question

If you get an early start, on the road by 7am, it should be OK. Otherwise, you won't have very much time to see things in the areas you go to. I hate to feel rushed and like I wasn't able to see all that I wanted to.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,443 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another question

Thanks for the info. Maybe trying to pack too much in a day.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,576 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another question

I would probably stop in Montrose for an early dinner (Camp Robber would be our family's choice, or Pahgre's or quite a few other good options) after you visit the Black Canyon, but you do want to drive between Montrose and Ouray in the daylight--first because it is a beautiful drive with the views of the mountains to the south, and second because it is a two lane road with a fair amount of traffic entering and exiting the highway, and third because this stretch of road is famous for having deer along the road, so you want to be able to see them. (You sometimes will also see elk, bighorn sheep on the cliffs near Ouray, and eagles/hawks in the cottonwoods along the river, but deer are notorious for bolting out in front of you so you want to be cautious when you see them)

I would try to arrive in Grand Junction the day before in time to drive the rim drive that evening before sunset, as the afternoon light can really enhance the reds of the rocks in the Colorado National Monument. If that isn't possible, get as early a start as possible the next morning so that you can get to Montrose and have about two to three hours for the Black Canyon.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,443 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another question

Thanks for the info.

5. Re: Another question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 am, October 05, 2012