We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary from Denver

florida
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary from Denver

We are planning to land in Denver( as our son is there) and then travel to Ouray as our base camp. How long wil it take us to get to Ouray? We are going in Mid-October...Is it a good idea to use Ouray as a base? We also want to go to Mesa Verde..Thanks!

Springfield, MO
Level Contributor
340 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary from Denver

Yes - Ouray is a great base. you can make it to Ouray from Denver in about 6-8 hours. The fastest way to go is via I-70, the south at Grand Junction.

For Mesa Verde - it is at least a 3 hour drive to MV from Ouray. You should consider spending one night at Mesa Verde if possible. You can't buy your tour tickets in advance (unless you do the much more expensive half-day tours), so you will be at the mercy of what's left when you get there. If you stay in the park, you won't have to worry about having a really long day of driving and tours.

Rochester, UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary from Denver

Beckers (or anyone else who can help!), can you tell me how you buy tickets in advance for Mesa Verde? I've had a look on the NPS site, and it says there you have to buy them on the day of the tour, but so many people here talk about buying them in advance, I think I must be missing something! Thanks.

Springfield, MO
Level Contributor
340 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary from Denver

Hi Brit,

There are two kinds of tickets. First, there are the hour-long tour tickets that are about $3 per person. You can buy these no earlier than the day before (which is a great reason to stay inside the park). Second, there are half-day tours that are about $35-40 per person. I think at least some of those include lunch. After looking at the website, it looks like you have to stay in the park to book one of the half-day tours. I'm not really sure about that - I've never done one. Here is the website with information to help you decipher everything.

reservations.ihotelier.com/crs/p_prod.cfm…

If you find out for sure, come back and let us know!

Rochester, UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary from Denver

Thanks Beckers. Realistically, I don't think we'll be doing the half day tour - guess we'll just have to take our chances on the hour long ones - or do self tours where we can. I'm hoping to do Mesa Verde before driving on to Moab, so don't really want to commit to too long there. There is just too much to see in Southern Colorado and Utah, we can't fit it all in! We visited Montezuma's Castle in Az a couple of years ago, and really enjoyed it - so different to buildings of that age in the UK.

Thanks for your help anyway!