We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oct in the area

louisiana
4 posts
Oct in the area

My husband and I are planning a trailer camping and jeeping trip the first two weeks of oct (couldn't do it in sept). We hope to stay in the ouray, silverton or Telluride area. We would like to camp in something like the forest campground-not the private owned or more expensive campgrounds. We went to do some of the easier to moderate jeep trails. We've been to this area a couple of times in late aug and early sept. The problem is the more I read the more I realize a lot of campgrounds and things close in oct. Isthis time of year doable for camping and jeeping? We dont mind cool weather-looking forward to it-but dont want to go if it's a bad time. We are from Louisiana where it is still very hot and aren't used to driving in much snow! Sure hope we dont need to put this trip off till next year!😢 Any advise or ideas on camping(we don't have to have electricity but a toilet of some sort is a necessity and a water spigot nearby would be nice) and /or jeeping advice, closures, or general necessary info would be appreciated. We have a 20' trailer-it has Jeep Wrangler on the back and a small sleeper area in front pulled by a 3/4 ton 4wd. Thanks

4 replies to this topic
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,638 posts
178 reviews
1. Re: Oct in the area

Since you want a toilet and maybe water, you're limited to a campground. You're correct that many in the area do close at the end of September or earlier. You might check the Ampitheater Campground in Ouray...maybe call the visitor center or the forest service to see if it will be open. I checked the Forest Service website and it lists the season through October, but Reserve America shows it closes the end of September.

KOA will be closed but I don't know about the other campgrounds in Ouray.

Overnight temperatures may be freezing, so generally campgrounds--if open--are going to have the water turned off, especially at the higher elevations. You might check into Ridgway State Park or one of the commercial campgrounds at Montrose, which is within easy day trip range of many trails but at a lower elevation and not usually freezing at night at this time.

…state.co.us/placestogo/…Camping.aspx

People camp into October and some or maybe most of the jeep trails will likely be accessible. Do be aware that it is hunting season so if you are out hiking or walking it is a good idea to wear some blaze orange. (cap, vest, or at least some ribbon tied on your day pack)

louisiana
4 posts
2. Re: Oct in the area

Thank you for info! I was really hoping to stay close to ouray or silverton (love this area) but may have to end up further out-I just didn't want to go all the way to montrose hopefully. Do you know if there is anywhere in towns to fill our water jugs or take a shower?

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,638 posts
178 reviews
3. Re: Oct in the area

You might check with the visitor center at Silverton to see what campgrounds might still be open, but it is already very close to freezing at night there. Silver Summit RV Park is open till Oct. 15, I see. www.silversummitrvpark.com/rv-park-faqs.html

Just a quick check and I see that Ouray RV Park is open year round now that they have a heated bathhouse, and it says their sites have water in October. http://www.ourayrvpark.com/cabins-sites/ The 4J park says open in "autumn" so you'd need to call for info.

I would imagine you'd be able to shower at the Ouray pool, for a fee. Ridgway State Park would be a good option if they have availability, as they have restrooms and the coin op showers are open through October, weather permitting. The Fairgrounds in Montrose has water, and of course the commercial RV parks, for a fee (and probably showers, too) Blair Truck Stop has water (free) and showers(small fee). http://blairstruckstop.com/ You can pay for a daily pass at the Rec Center in Montrose, which would include using the showers.

louisiana
4 posts
4. Re: Oct in the area

Thank you

Reply to: Oct in the area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ouray