We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Vacation

Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Family Vacation

Hi! We are looking to stay for a family vacation either late May 2019 or Sept. 2019 depending on which is cheaper. We will have 4-mature adults and 2-young children.

My questions are...we’re looking for a “home base” to stay with still being able to visit Telluride, Ouray, Durango, Silverton, etc. With children it is just to hard to stay in different cities each night. We’re looking for somewheres we can walk to dinner and walk to evening activities to keep kiddos busy, and ofcourse we will be driving and exploring scenery during the day. Is Ouray the place to be? Also, any insights on wheather we should go in Late May or Sept. would be helpful!!! Thanks in advance!!!!

7 replies to this topic
Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
7,543 posts
265 reviews
1. Re: Family Vacation

You have basically posted the very same question in 4 places, would have been simpler to just post under the Colorado forum but let's go ahead. Late May can still be in the throes of a cold spring and is what we call the shoulder season because of that. It's at the end of ski season and before the summer tourist season so lodging will be less but many places my either have reduced hours or be closed as the owners/staff take their own vacations. I'd suggest the fall.

Edited: 3:42 pm, September 08, 2018
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Family Vacation

Sorry I have never posted and not very familiar with these forums. I didn’t even realize there was one for Colorado. New to this. Maybe I should’ve posted somewheres else.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
7,543 posts
265 reviews
3. Re: Family Vacation

I'm sorry if that sounded rude. It's a learning curve that we've all been through. Hope you're getting good help.

The Black Hills...
Level Contributor
980 posts
4. Re: Family Vacation

You can remove your extra posts by clicking on "Report Inappropriate Content" at the lower right of your original post. Then click on "Remove My Post".

Eagle, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
5. Re: Family Vacation

I would do September over may. May has very variable weather and higher areas will be limited by snow pack. I also would pick staying in 2 places because of the distances. Durango is over 2 hours driving to Telluride. I would stay part of the trip on Durango and either Telluride or ouray the other. Telluride may have more activities. Ouray has the hot springs pool which kids love.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,470 posts
178 reviews
6. Re: Family Vacation

I understand it seems difficult to move lodging with a group, but IMO if you actually time how long it takes to move lodging vs. how much time you spend in the car driving back and forth, I think you’ll see the advantage of choosing 2 places to base.

Telluride is beautiful and walkable but will likely be the most expensive. If you must choose one location, I’d probably go with Ouray. It has more lodging and restaurants than Silverton plus the hot springs pool. You can day trip to Telluride, Black Canyon, Ridgway, Silverton and Durango. Mesa Verde’s a bit far to go as a day trip except from Durango, Mancos, Cortez or Dolores, so if Mesa Verde is on the itinerary you’d probably want to choose Durango, but isn’t nearly as walkable as Ouray.

Montrose, Colorado
Level Contributor
648 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: Family Vacation

Don’t forget a day trip to Montrose to play in a tepee at the Ute Museum! It’s a great museum as is the Museum of the Mountain West. The Montrose Visitors Center can help you with ideas for the whole region; check them out online, by phone, social media, or in person once you’re here.

Reply to: Family Vacation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ouray