We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hikes with my dog!

Georgia
Level Contributor
118 posts
Hikes with my dog!

Hi All,

Looking forward to our trip to the San Juan mountains making a stop in Ouray. Looking for a good hike right outside of town. Maybe a stream, river or lake. I’d like to let him off Leash as he does well with voice command and stays on trail. I tell him “leash up” n he will come to me. We will be there mid sept. Any suggestion would be helpful. Do I need to worry about bears or other animals. Should I carry a bear horn. Looking for an easy hike n not to far from town. We are hikers but in our area. We are cautious and want to be respectful.

Thank you.

5 replies to this topic
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,923 posts
67 reviews
1. Re: Hikes with my dog!

Hi SurfTheR and thanks for asking. Hopefully someone with better knowledge of the area will respond. In the interim you might look at https:/…dogs

I have hiked in Colorado with my dog for years. I never carry any bear deterrent. Though if I see evidence of bears I do leash her up. One thing to think about is the altitude. Dogs, like people, can feel the effects.

A couple of articles that might be interesting https:/…

hikingwithfido.com/2014/07/hydration-and-hik…

Have a fun time! Colorado is a great state for traveling with four legged family members.

Georgia
Level Contributor
118 posts
2. Re: Hikes with my dog!

Thanks Alli, we have been to all the ski towns up I70. We shuttle up due to snow. This will be our first time driving. Never been SW CO. The first time my dog went to CO I could tell it effected him n made sure he drank more water. I can say after spending the last three winter skiing, he is a pro at the altitude thing. We take precautions n prepare our bodies. I’m driving in from DIA going thru FairPlay, Beauna vista; Gunnison, ouray, telluride and surrounding areas n sites. Then to Moab n down I 70 back to DIA. Little worried about the roads, but it’s time to meet my fears. Take it slow n steady. I’m gonna get some bear spray. Shoot, I carry mase at home.

Be happy!

USA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Hikes with my dog!

Visitor center in town can give you info about local hikes. One you can catch from in town is Perimeter Trail

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,638 posts
178 reviews
4. Re: Hikes with my dog!

Areas within the city limits require dogs be leashed unless in a specific leash-free area. Outside the city limits, the county ordinance allows for voice control, but the dog is not considered under control if it chases wildlife or people. (We cannot let ours off leash because they think little furry critters were put on earth to be chased!) And in general, in the national forest, voice control is allowed most places except trailheads and developed recreation areas.

Georgia
Level Contributor
118 posts
5. Re: Hikes with my dog!

Thanks everyone, my boy keeps a keen eye on me at all times. We will be sure to obey all rules and regulations.

Reply to: Hikes with my dog!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ouray