We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Montrose???

Which Montrose hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
28 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in Montrose???

I would like your opinions as where to stay. I will be in the area for a week. I do not want to stay in Telluride because of the crowds. I am debating between Ouray and Montrose. I am renting a jeep and plan on seeing the sights between Montrose and Silverton. I will be flying out of Montrose. Thanks!

2 replies to this topic
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
9,500 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in Montrose???

Montrose will probably have economical lodging, and a variety of restaurants; and is a good place to stay for visiting the Black Canyon, mountain biking on the Uncompahgre Plateau, or a day trip to Telluride, Gunnison/Crested Butte or Grand Mesa, or even Lake City. It is a good sized town, with nice views of surrounding mountains. There are a couple of nice small museums and a historic downtown. Montrose is not in the mountains, though. It was historically a transportation hub, agriculture and supply depot for the surrounding mountain and mining communities, and it remains so to this day.

So, you may want to stay a day or two in Montrose and then spend the rest of your time in Ouray to explore the mountains and visit Silverton, Durango, and/or Telluride. Ouray is a picturesque, historic village in a dramatic mountain/canyon setting.

If you are staying on paved roads, you won't need to rent a jeep for that. And if you want to explore some of the county dirt roads or 4 wheel drive trails (Alpine Loop, Owl Creek Pass, etc) you will need to take a jeep tour or rent a jeep from one of the rental companies that rent vehicles for off highway use rather than from the regular rental agencies.

Level Contributor
28 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in Montrose???

Thank you for the information...it was VERY helpful! Ouray sounds much more beautiful but splitting the stays sounds like an excellent idea.

Question about driving the passes. I am renting a Jeep Liberty. Will that be fine on the passes or do you need an off road Jeep??? I have never driven on a pass and would appreciate any advice. But I grew up on a farm and am used to driving on gravel roads.

Also, when hiking...do I need bug spray for mosquitoes and ticks? Do I need to watch out for snakes. Bugs and snakes freak me out.

Reply to: Stay in Montrose???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted