We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Salida to Monarch Mountain in Mid February

Kansas City
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Travel from Salida to Monarch Mountain in Mid February

We are going to ski Monarch Mountain with some friends in mid February. We are considering staying in Salida and then driving to Monarch Mountain during the day. How are the roads from Salida to Monarch Mountain during mid February? Or should we just stay at the Monarch Mountain Lodge so the trip is shorter?

(2 adults and 2 kids aged 11 and 8 so night life is not important to us.)

12 replies to this topic
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
9,982 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Salida to Monarch Mountain in Mid February

The reviews for Monarch Lodge are mixed. Did you see them? Some people were well satisfied with the basic, reasonably priced rooms which even the favorable reviews say are at least a bit shabby and in need of an update; others report what they consider serious problems. I can't give a personal recommendation as it has been many years since I stayed there. I would probably stay in Salida; you'll have more choices for food and lodging.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g33557-d646212-…

Kansas City
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Salida to Monarch Mountain in Mid February

Thanks for the suggestion. What are the road conditions from Salida to Monarch during mid Feb? Is it about a 30 min drive?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,640 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Salida to Monarch Mountain in Mid February

The road conditions could be anything from totally clear to un-drivable if Monarch Pass closes due to heavy snow and avalanche conditions. The gate for the pass is literally across the street from the Monarch Inn. The Salida side of the pass is pretty mellow but it will really depend on the conditions of the day. If it were me, I'd stay in Salida.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,341 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Salida to Monarch Mountain in Mid February

Another for Salida, look on VRBO or the Palace Hotel or the Simple Lodge. You will want to stay in the historic area if possible not along the freeway. Salida is super charming, one of my favorite Colorado towns!! There are ski shuttles too if you don't want to drive.

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,366 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Salida to Monarch Mountain in Mid February

I've stayed in the Monarch Mountain Lodge and was very glad we did. Now, even 6 years ago it would have only rated 2-stars from me, don't know how it would fare today. Since my son and I were interested in skiing, we were glad to be so close that when the snow started to fly on the morning we were planning on leaving, we could change our minds and be at the hill in just a couple of minutes. We had the place to ourselves while people from Salida had a terrible drive that took those who made it over an hour. On the other hand, in the evening most days we decided that we were happy to drive into Salida in the evening to have bit better quality meal than available at the hotel and except for the time it snowed so heavily, the road was easy to drive and quickly travelled. We did it daily. If we had stayed in Salida we would have already been there.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Salida to Monarch Mountain in Mid February

There's a videocam showing Monarch Pass at all times. I haven't been in winter but heard they keep up with maintaining it rather well. I'd say if not dealing with bad roads is the prime concern take a chance and stay right there, otherwise stay in Salida and enjoy the town and the skiing at nearby Monarch Pass.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,341 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Salida to Monarch Mountain in Mid February

I don't think Monarch Mountain Lodge is an option. I drove by it yesterday, it had a for sale sign and no cars in the parking lot. Now I will stay in some rather rustic hotels but I don't think even I would have stayed there. Plus it was not all that close to the mountain.

Stay in Salida for sure, super cute town. This time we stayed at the Woodland Motel because the Simple Lodge was full

http://www.woodlandmotel.com/index.htm I would definitely stay there again. They do have rooms that you could share complete with kitchens. Close enough to walk to the shops and restaurants. Super dog friendly is that matters at all.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
9,982 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from Salida to Monarch Mountain in Mid February

alli, I was going to post the same thing. If it wasn't closed, it sure looked like it.

Thanks for the Woodland Motel recommendation. If we ever need to stop there, it's good to have a dog friendly option in mind. Were the beds pretty comfortable?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,341 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel from Salida to Monarch Mountain in Mid February

misspWestSlope_CO, the bed was fine, though we had one of the smaller rooms and it was only a full bed, but an extra long full bed. We were only there 2 nights, any longer and I'd opt for one of the king rooms.

They are super dog friendly, with dog treats at the check in, dog beds and bowls available, OK to leave them in the room unattended as long as they have a phone number for you, allowed both of ours and NO extra pet charge! There is a difference between "allowing" dogs and being dog friendlily. They are in the dog friendly category. Plus the softball fields, fenced, is right across the street making for a nice place to let them run, play some ball.

Edited: 10:30 am, January 20, 2014
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,341 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel from Salida to Monarch Mountain in Mid February

Oh and the drive was maybe 20 minutes

Reply to: Travel from Salida to Monarch Mountain in Mid February
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted