We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

solo in manitou springs-is it solo friendly

Laguna Beach...
Level Contributor
68 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
solo in manitou springs-is it solo friendly

hi there...the wonderful miss leagle from the forum directed me to this forum (thanx).....i am new to solo traveling due to family & friends & husband not wanting to travel & i am tired of going on tours.....so i'm onto my new phase...solo traveling - nervous but looking forward !!!! is manitou springs solo friendly ????? i love the outdoors & manitou looks perfect...............i'm planning for next year...............i would like to stay at the cliff house inn - any input on this hotel ?????? i choose 4-5 star places cuz i love nice hotels & love room service (so meals for me as a solo are perfect ) ....even tho i love nice hotels i am not a snob LOL....i'm down to earth & friendly...i just like that luxury when i travel :):) if cliff house isnt a good choose...any suggestions ?????

i'm flying into colorado from california..taking a taxi to hotel.....so my navigating will be by taxi, local walking, or excursions that pick u up at the hotel...................as a solo traveler what fun suggestions would u have for me to do..............the ones i picked are horseback riding thru garden of the gods 3 hrs (an excursion thru a company ), a guided hike 3 hrs , cog rail train to pikes peak, 7 falls, cave of the winds or is that touristy ????

are these good ideas ???? ok ideas for a solo person ???? any other suggestions ?????? i did read there was a jeep adventure with an excursion company but not sure if that would be worth it..............would super super love advise........new solo traveler nervous & excited to dive right in :):)!!!!! thanx violet

ps - ooops i forgot i'm female , 50, in good shape so activities not an issue , i like to keep busy with daytime adventures & then relax at nite (room service with a movie ) & i'm married so not interested in the single traveler looking to hook up

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,165 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: solo in manitou springs-is it solo friendly

The Cog trip is a lot of fun and beautiful, Garden of the Gods coupled with horseback riding should be a fun combo, I saw a tour going through as we went through the park last week. Cave of the Winds is in a neat location atop a hill. Our tour was rushed but it was an ok cave worth stopping at. There's tons of indoor museums in Colorado Springs should you have rainy weather. One thing that's nice is the afternoon storms often are brief and fast and the sun returns quickly (they happen around early afternoon). We really enjoyed the experience of Seven Falls (I have a review that will post in a day or two). Also near Seven Falls is the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo which is worthwhile just because of it's neat setting, the giraffe feeding/petting is a nice feature. A lot of people like the grizzly bear exhibit (when they're swimming). Also included in admission is the drive up to the Shrine of the Sun which is a stunning castlelike tower atop the hill above. It's definitely worth a stop (and you can only see per your zoo admission). Have fun and enjoy the area. You might consider a rental car as the area is big (at least CO Springs is) and you can try some day trips. Canon City is a nice one for the Royal Gorge Bridge and park.

Laguna Beach...
Level Contributor
68 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: solo in manitou springs-is it solo friendly

hi hatchpal....wow thanx for all ur input :):) i didnt even think of the zoo.....but i have read & heard that its a great zoo...and thanx for the tower tip too............the zoo would probably be a nice walking afternoon adventure :):) i love my horses when i travel, so i am so looking forward to that & the hike...............u know i could just do hikes on my trip & be in 7th heaven.....love hikes !!!!! i'm glad to hear 7 falls was nice.............i will be watching out for ur post in the next few days..................and i do love museums so i'm sure i'll take a taxi into colorado springs to do some walking around & museum hopping...............i know a rental car would be a great idea but since this will be my first time solo (sometime next year for this trip- i'm researching & getting my nerve up ) doing the whole rental car navigation thing would be a bit nerve racking for me..............i gotta do baby steps LOL !!! so i'll be walking & using those taxi's & of coarse whatever excursion can pick me up at the hotel makes it easy :):)

well looking forward to ur post & if theres a way u can post a photo link

that would be nice :):) thank you happy travels violet

Colorado
Level Contributor
444 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: solo in manitou springs-is it solo friendly

Cliff house is very nice and great location in Manitou. It's basically a block from the main Manitou strip that is fairly touristy, but worth a visit. Believe Cliff house has nice dining as well, but if you want to venture out, walk across the street to the old spa building and dine at Adam's Mtn Cafe. Also, you can walk from Cliff house to the Cog if you'd like. It is a bit of a climb, but not super long (maybe a mile) and then of course downhill all the way back.

GoG is a good afternoon trip at least, hiking around the park and check out the Trading post and visitors center.

The zoo is nice (though with a 3yr old I'm probably biased), it's not a huge zoo though, maybe 2 hours to get through it at most. there is also a riding stables down there somewhere I think (at least I've seen a sign for Broadmoor riding stables) so you might check on that.

Depending on your length, you may actually want to consider a few nights at the Broadmoor, as it'll be closer proximity to the southern side of town and I'm pretty sure Broadmoor can set you up with about any activity you'd want.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,165 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: solo in manitou springs-is it solo friendly

I have heard the Wines of Colorado is a good dining spot and there's Miramont Castle there and a few other places to tour around in Manitou that we've not been to yet. As for photos the websites for the places I mentioned would be a good start, also google it and I've found some nice/helpful images to give me an idea what to look forward to/expect so maybe that would prove helpful for you as well. The Broadmoor is situated on the way to Cheyenne Mountain Zoo and is a nice looking location. We could see it all the way above from the Shrine of the Sun. It sure has interesting history too as does a lot of Colorado Springs. I understand about the rental car. I'm sure solo traveling there will work out for you just fine. This really is a beautiful area, we love it.

Laguna Beach...
Level Contributor
68 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: solo in manitou springs-is it solo friendly

hi laughing lab.....wow i'm so happy to get such great responses...this is a great forum......i tried frommers but its so hit & miss with answers.....anyway thanx for all ur input....i'm glad cliff house is nice but actually i had broadmoor in mind as a 2nd choice & yes it appears with broadmoor u can probably ask for anything & get it - it looks very nice :) ......since it will be my first solo adventure (husband family friends dont care to travel & i'm over tours ) i am only planning on 5 days...i live in calif. so if i love it it will be easy to return.................for G O G i am planning a horse back ride thru there thats 3 hrs - its sounds cool & ur the 2nd person now that mentioned the zoo..............hmmmm i may have to consider it...thanx...i appreciate all the advise...........i'm feeling so good about my trip..thanx !!!

Laguna Beach...
Level Contributor
68 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: solo in manitou springs-is it solo friendly

hi hatchpal....thanx again for the tips.......i actually had miramont castle on my list of places to check out...it sez its a museum house - i love old homes so it may be interesting :):) thanx for the support as far as going on my own.....it sounds like i will be ok :):) yeah !!!! it will definitely be an empowering move - thats for sure LOL !!! well thanx again............the tips & support are great !!!! take care violet ps - and yes i will use google for pics............i've been googling everything else for research so pics will be added to that list....thanx !!!!

Edited: 12:48 am, July 21, 2010
7. Re: solo in manitou springs-is it solo friendly

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 18, 2011