We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manitou Springs or Estes Park in mid-September?

Kansas City, Kansas
Level Contributor
91 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Manitou Springs or Estes Park in mid-September?

I am planning on taking my 80 year old mother to Colorado in the fall to see the leaves/Aspens changing colors. She and I are both familiar with Manitou Springs and Estes Park, as we have visited both towns numerous times in the summer. I realize that in Estes Park we would probably see the mating rituals of the many elk. However, since I will be in Estes Park this summer, I, personally would prefer someplace else to go to only a few months later. Any opinions?

Colorado
Level Contributor
391 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manitou Springs or Estes Park in mid-September?

If you would have just been to Estes Park, Manitou is nice (try the Cliff House), but you might try staying in the mountains somewhere like Breckenridge, Keystone, or depending on where you are coming from and up for a drive Telluride or Glenwood Springs.

Sorry no one responded sooner!

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manitou Springs or Estes Park in mid-September?

My favorite place to see the aspens is the drive up to St. Elmo along Chalk Creek.It is so charming. It's not crowded at all so you can just pull over & take in the views. There's also a nice place to eat at the Mt. Princeton Resort just before you get into the aspens.Be sure & gas up there as well. St. Elmo is a deserted mining town with just a couple of stores open. Peak into the old one room school house along with the other establishments.Feed the hundreds of chipmunks in front of the store & listen for the hummingbirds. Just too cute. The leaves do turn a little sooner there so check peak foliage before you go. I took my 80 yr. mother-in-law last fall,and she couldn't get enough pictures.

Kansas City, Kansas
Level Contributor
91 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manitou Springs or Estes Park in mid-September?

I've never been to Breckenridge, and that will be someplace I will seriously consider. Thanks!

Kansas City, Kansas
Level Contributor
91 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manitou Springs or Estes Park in mid-September?

I'm not familiar with St. Elmo or Chalk Creek. I'll have to do some research, but it sounds like somplace we'd both enjoy seeing. Thanks for the tip!

colorado springs,co
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manitou Springs or Estes Park in mid-September?

Check out St-Elmo-Colorado.com and Mt.Princeton.com. It's about the same distance as Breckenridge from Colorado Springs, just up the road from Buena Vista.

6. Re: Manitou Springs or Estes Park in mid-September?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 27, 2010