We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are private owned condos a reliable way to go

texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Are private owned condos a reliable way to go

After sending a request for travel info yesterday, I got many many e-mails from private owners wanting to rent their condos. I just feel a little cautious, the rates a very reasonable for the properties and I would love to check into it, but how do I know if I am dealing with a reliable person. Is there a site that recommends these properties based on previous stays??? Or any way to check into this? Thanks so much...

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,504 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are private owned condos a reliable way to go

chayes. Lots of folks rent out their condos direct at Keystone. I used to myself but stopped because we like to use it ourselves so much. I am guessing from your post that you contacted summitnet? I used to have ours on that site, they are reputable. Personally I always rent direct no matter where, Colorado, Mexico I just got back form Spain where I rented an apartment direct. For me the money saved is worth any risk.. To date I have not been disappointed.

There are of course pros and cons to renting direct. Typically the owners have only one condo so if something goes wrong it could be problematic. In the years we rented our out we never had any trouble with our guests nor any complaints. The nice thing about renting direct is that you will get to see photos of the condo. If you cannot see photos I would not take it. At Keystone if your rent through central res you will not get see to photos of the exact unit your getting. Ours was in the keystone rental program before we bought it and I have to say I would have been terribly disappointed to have rented with those prices in the condition it was in.

Of course if your still nervous there are other agencies with prices between direct and Keystone Central Res. Take a look at www.summitcove.com they have pretty good prices. Good luck!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
875 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are private owned condos a reliable way to go

I just want to second what Alli has said. Lots of owners in Keystone rent directly. You might also want to check out www.vrbo.com.

Denver, Colorado
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Are private owned condos a reliable way to go

We have rented many condos and apartments in the U.S. and Europe directly from the owners and have never had a bad experience. We also rent out our condo in Keystone through VRBO and I would recommend the following:

1. Ask a lot of questions. If the owner doesn't respond promptly or directly to your questions you probably should have second thoughts about that unit.

2. Ask for more pictures. VRBO's rates are significantly higher for more than 3 pictures, but owners usually have many pictures that we can email to you.

3. Make sure the owner spells out in detail when the rent is due, what the cancelation policy is, whether a security deposit it required etc., how to get keys, who to contact if something goes wrong during your stay.

4. Call and talk to the owner so you can get a feel for whether he/she will be helpful should something go wrong.

5. Don't be afraid to ask for a discount.

We have found the owners we have dealt with to be extremely helpful. Many times they've stocked the refrigerator with essentials so we didn't have to go shopping right away and they are always a great source of information about local restaurants, shopping and other tips. Good luck!

4. Re: Are private owned condos a reliable way to go

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, August 21, 2009