We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

City Market or King Soopers - do they sell craft beer?

Michigan
Level Contributor
774 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
City Market or King Soopers - do they sell craft beer?

I've noted that the above two grocery stores are recommended for those driving from Denver to Keystone. Would anyone know if either or both sell microbrew/craft beer? If not, are there stores in the Keystone area that you'd suggest? Thanks.

Colorado
Level Contributor
444 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: City Market or King Soopers - do they sell craft beer?

Colorado, for all it's wonderful beer and spirits.. has rather annoying law that forbids larger stores from selling anything more than 3.2 beer. So in general don't plan to buy beer from the grocery stores.

The good news is... there's going to be a liquor store right next to every grocery store because of this. The one next to the store in Dillon on way to Keystone has a good selection.

New Belgium is the big one, but anything by Avery, Left Hand, Bristol, Great Divide will likely be solid choice if you want something from Colorado.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,620 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: City Market or King Soopers - do they sell craft beer?

No they do not. None of the grocery stores do. At the City Market in Dillon there is a good liquor store in the same shopping area ( strip mall. ) Dillon Ridge Liquor. In Keystone at the traffic light there is a small liquor store that has a pretty decent selection for its size. The store is under construction but it is open. The liquor store is toward the back of the building.

Or take the Youngfield exit on the western edge of the suburbs. There is Applejacks which has a huge selection of craft brews and an overwhelming selection of wine and a King Soopers making fr an easy stop to stock up. If you are hungry there are all sorts of fast food, even the kind of good ones, like Chipotle there too

http://www.applejack.com

edit typing at the same time as LLab

Edited: 12:47 pm, December 04, 2013
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,620 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: City Market or King Soopers - do they sell craft beer?

Or stop in at Pug Ryans or Dillon Dam and pick up some growlers too! Good stuff.

Michigan
Level Contributor
774 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: City Market or King Soopers - do they sell craft beer?

Excellent information. This now answers my question about why forum questions about grocery stores would inevitably include responses about liquor stores. very odd law, I might add. I suppose somewhere along the line it had some logical basis. What that might be escapes me.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,620 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: City Market or King Soopers - do they sell craft beer?

<<< What that might be escapes me >>> Us too. Though likely to change in 2014.

Colorado
Level Contributor
11,507 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: City Market or King Soopers - do they sell craft beer?

At least they now sell liquor, beer and wine on Sundays which was another stupid blue law that was overturned.

What's happening in 2014 alli?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,620 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: City Market or King Soopers - do they sell craft beer?

B, they tried to change it last year, maybe the year before. The thought from my friends in the biz is that they wanted to give the mom and pop stores time to adjust. Lots of people reason that is why we are finally getting Trader Joes.

wait and see I guess.

8. Re: City Market or King Soopers - do they sell craft beer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 pm, December 08, 2013
Longmont, Colorado
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: City Market or King Soopers - do they sell craft beer?

Great advice from Alli about the Youngfield Exit in Wheat Ridge.

This is our annual stop on the way to the mountains. Great selection of groceries & beers/wine/liquor in one convenient stop. AppleJack's has as good of a selection as you'll find.

Having said that, we do love buying locally brewed stuff in growlers fresh from the tap in Summit County. Hard to beat the freshness you get in doing that!

Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: City Market or King Soopers - do they sell craft beer?

< I suppose somewhere along the line it had some logical basis. What that might be escapes me.>

Many of the local small brewers are against the supermarkets selling regular beer because they don't believe they will get adequate (or any) shelf space in the supermarket compared to what they now get in the liquor stores. So if the liquor stores are driven out of business, it would affect the local brewers bottom line. Also, most of the liquor stores are locally owned, and the money spent there stays in the state and supports more people, as opposed to the big grocery chains.

When the law allowing Sunday sales at the liquor stores was passed, it was the convenience stores like stop-n-go or 7-11 who were hurt by that, because they sold a lot of beer on Sundays while the liquor stores were closed.

It is a complicated issue, the choice between consumer convenience versus supporting the local economy.