We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keystone in May

Tulsa, Oklahoma
2 posts
Save Topic
Keystone in May

I am making a few night trip to Keystone in early to mid May. What outdoor activities are available this time of year? It seems like most of the shops and restaurants will be closed by then since ski season is over. Are there any mountain bike rental options or does that not start until June? Activities within a 20 to 30 minute drive of Keystone would work too.

Thanks for any information.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Keystone in May

Yes lots of things are closed. Dos Locos will most likely be open and the Snake Saloon, other than that who knows. You probably can rent bikes in Dillon. There is a rental shop right at the light as you go towards the Marina. Sorry I don't know the name but it is easy to find. You can access the bike path right there for a nice ride around Lake Dillon. Depending on the weather the Tiki Bar could be open. http://pugryans.com/tiki-bar.php

Hiking all around. At Keystone get directions to the Keystone Ranch RD follow it till it dead ends. Walk along the dirt rd you will get to the original homestead. You can get to the Colorado trail there too. When the dirt rd turns sharply to the right go straight on the trail, there is remnants of a fence there, Bear right to get to the Co Trail. It will make sense when you are there. Do you golf? They are planning on opening the courses early this year. If you golf and they do open I'd do it. Beautiful courses!

Again depending on the weather the Frisco Marina may open early. www.townoffrisco.com/frisco-bay-marina/ you can rent Kayaks there.

Certainly drive over Swan Mountain rd to Breck, about 20 min. Take the short hike at Sapphire Point. Lots more will be open at Breckenridge.

Edited: 11:20 am, March 30, 2012
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Keystone in May

Do you fish? The fly fishing guide outfit at Keystone is already open and claiming great fishing to be had this spring.. I don't fish but they do know

http://www.summitflyfish.com

Tulsa, Oklahoma
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Keystone in May

Thanks very much for the information.

I will probably do some hiking and may try out fly fishing. I fish, but have never been fly fishing so that may be fun. I will check out their website.

I will take your advice and venture over to Breck during the trip. I am not a golfer but I am sure the courses there are awesome.

Once again, thanks. Please drop anything else that comes up you think I may be interested in on this thread over the next month.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Keystone in May

You are welcome and I will.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Keystone in May

I cannot believe I forgot to mention Arapahoe Basin, even if you do not ski they have great festivities in May if you are here on a weekend.

(if 1fourfun would check in more often she would have mentioned it I bet....)

arapahoebasin.com/ABasin/…calendar.aspx

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Keystone in May

summitdaily.com/article/…1055 might be fun if the timing is right.

Heard they they are going to open the Tiki Bar early. Not sure when but be sure to check when you are here!

7. Re: Keystone in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, June 19, 2013