We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Altitude Sickness

hot springs, ar
Level Contributor
456 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Altitude Sickness

I arrived at our condo in Keystone yesterday. We drove from about 2200 ft. Upon driving up the mountain developed a headache, so when we ate lunch upon arriving at Dillon I took 2 ibuprophens and drank water. Also drank water on the way up the mountain., Went grocery shopping and started feeling ill. Told hubby I felt like I was going to pass out. He had me sit down at the pharacist area. Took blood pressure and it was 86/70. Pharmacist said that was really low.Came back to cabin and just went to bed. Headache was bad! I forgot to mention I have a little cold so maybe that contributed to all this. Feel better this morning, but kinda freaked out about all this. I read that most experience a rise in blood pressure from high altitude...not a lowering of bp. Wonder if I should go to the dr or not???

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Altitude Sickness

No one on this travel forum can tell you if you should or should not go to the doctors. Ask the pharmacist for advice or look up a doc in the yellow pages and ask them if they think you should be coming in. There are tons of helpful posts and advice on proactively preventing Altitude sickness listed in the TOP QUESTIONS area on the right hand side of the Colorado Forum.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28927-i252-Colora…

Common sense tells me if you think you need to see a doctor, then go. High Country Health Care is one of the larger medical practices in the area and they have a Silverthorne location - which would be fairly close to you. Also you might ask your concierge if there is an in-house doctor.

highcountryhealth.com/clinic-locations/hchc-…

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,625 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Altitude Sickness

The place to get medical advice is the physician's office, so yes, go!

You can read about "high altitude syncope" on the website of The Institute for Altitude Medicine at Telluride (under altitude related issues), and also find that blood pressure of those with existing high blood pressure often goes up, but not always; and that sometimes blood pressure can be unstable. And that your cold/virus could indeed make symptoms worse.

altitudemedicine.org/index.php/altitude-medi…

Edited: 10:12 am, March 19, 2012
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,470 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Altitude Sickness

Hop over to the fire station. It is right on the hwy in Keystone. Have them take your blood pressure again and give you a whiff of Oxygen. I'd take whatever advice the paramedics give you.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,625 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Altitude Sickness

Of course! I bet the paramedics deal with this all the time!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,470 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Altitude Sickness

Yes they do. I can only speak to this fire station but if things are slow they really like it when folks stop in. Gives them a chance to train.

Also depending on how busy it is the Keystone people can help

Keystone Emergency Services: 4135 (from any Resort phone), or 970-496-4135

Edited: 1:07 pm, March 19, 2012
hot springs, ar
Level Contributor
456 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Altitude Sickness

So went to the dr and my bp was normal today but my oxygen level was only 89 so they gave me oxygen for 45 minutes and a prescription for a zpac for possible sinus infection.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,625 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Altitude Sickness

Hope you feel better soon!

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
7 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Altitude Sickness

I'm so glad that you went to the Dr.! I hope you feel a lot better! If not, you might try DEscending in altitude to see if that makes a difference. As a mountain climber-I know that sometimes a descent is all that is necessary when all else fails to work. Best wishes!

9. Re: Altitude Sickness

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:51 am, March 24, 2013