We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report 12/5 - 12/9

Waterford, Michigan
Level Contributor
169 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report 12/5 - 12/9

I used CMO (Colorado Mountain Express) for a ride from DEN and back. It was smooth and easy transfer, no problems whatsoever, and a great service.

I stayed at Inn at Keystone (I 'll be posting a separate review). From the hotel you can take a ski shuttle to River Run. I did it once. It took longer than I thought to get from RR back to the hotel. So I decided I rather walk to Mountain House base and ski off there. It's 10-15 min walk. I know many people walk it in ski boots but I ended up renting a locker at the Mountain base for $2/day thinking about walking back to the hotel after a day of skiing with tired legs and ski boots on.

It was a low season time; Peru Express was the only lift that was open. No lines at all. I skied all the open blues on the front (Dercum Mountain), Mozart to North Peak, blues on North Peak. I planned to ski Outback on my last day but runs there were not groomed at all after a heavy snow a day before, so I ended up not skiing at the Outback (saved for the next visit).

A Note - if you plan to ski off North Peak and want to ride Ruby Express to ski Mozart back to Santiago Express and continue skiing at North Peak the Mozart was closed at 3 pm. So there was no run back to North Peak runs (all other runs toward North Peak were not open at all). So if you want to ski off North Peak you better not ride Ruby Express after 3 pm. (Santiago will stay open until 4 pm). May be they closed Mozart at 3 pm because of the low season. I did not ask.

Eating options. The prices at Summit House are way expensive IMHO. A mediocre quality small pizza for $11, a small cup of brewed coffee for $2.50. You 'll have much better options if you ski down to River Run and eat lunch there. Kickapoo has a good lunch menu and is the closest to the gondola. The first coffee shop that you 'll see on your left hand side when walking away from the mountain will brew a perfect cup of double espresso for the same $2.50. There are also many other places to eat at RR but many of them were not open for lunch because of the pre-season I suppose. But I did not want to spend too much time on lunch anyway, so Kickapoo with their short distance to the lifts was the perfect place for me.

I went to Dos Locos (Mexican food) across the street from my hotel a couple of times. I liked the food, I tried quite a few items from their menu and they all were good. This place is reasonably priced. You can't beat their 'Happy Hour' 20 oz House Margarita for $6.50. Or you can get the Premium one for $9. I highly recommend this place. Their Happy Hour is 2:30 to 6 pm Mon - Thurs and 2:30 to 5:30 pm Fri - Sun.

There is a convenience/liquor store next door. I checked their liquor prices; they were pretty much the same what we pay here in Michigan. The selection was quite good.

alli - I did not have a chance to watch Swing Crew playing at Last Lift Bar on Sunday. I had to be at RR lift ticket office at 4 pm - there was something wrong with my reservation for 4 of 6 days lift ticket, they asked me to come back at 4 pm. But there was live music at Kickapoo starting at 3 pm - I liked it.

All in all I had a very good experience. A great ski resort.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,965 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report 12/5 - 12/9

Thanks for the report! Just so you know you did not miss much on the Outback if you like the groomers. The groomers on the front are much better!

Sorry about the swing crew, guess another thing to come back for!

Agree that the "Dos" has a great HH!

2. Re: Trip report 12/5 - 12/9

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 am, June 16, 2011