We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Footwear?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
226 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Footwear?

Heading to Keystone the week after Christmas, and this will be my first ski trip out west. I'm trying to determine what boots (non-ski boots) I need.

I'm thinking of getting some waterproof snow boots (like Sorels) for wearing with my ski pants, snowmobiling, tubing, etc. And then some more more 'fashionable' boots for dinner- something warm and fuzzy (like Uggs, but less frumpy). Does this sound right, or will I only wear one or the other? I'm a girl, by the way. :)

Thanks for all the help you provide on this forum!

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Footwear?

I guess it sounds right. However the snow is cleared on sidewalks, so there is no absolute need for dress boots. However on a fashion level, dressy boots are certainly fun to have. Whatever you decide on, get something with some tread on the bottom - shoes with worn or smooth soles can cause falls.

Have you seen these? IMO - super cute and multifunctional for tubing and eating out. zappos.com/sorel-cate-the-great-tusk-stone Remember Colorado is more casual than other places - especially up in the mountains. You can go out to eat at a nice restaurant and sit next to someone in their snow gear, and another in tie and coat, LOL. IMO the tie and coat will be the most out of place; However, there is a happy medium.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
226 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Footwear?

Thanks! Those are an exact hybrid of the two types of boots I was picturing. I didn't realize such a thing existed. We don't see too many winter boots here in Georgia... lol.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Footwear?

Yeah I bet! Consider Zappos, I order from them all the time. Living up here my selection is very limited, unless I want to travel to Denver to shop around. They have free overnight shipping if you log in to the VIP website and free return shipping. They credit your credit card back quickly once they receive the return. I generally buy three of each pair - the size I think I need, then one above and one below - then return the two that don't work - or all three. Good luck finding the perfect pair! Enjoy your vaca!

http://vip.zappos.com/

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,625 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Footwear?

For a short 4 night trip- I'm packing regular old running shoes that I'll wear on the plane and a pair of UGGs. I won't be bringing any other shoes with me. Every restaurant we went to had people in jeans, sweaters and boots like uggs with ski jackets. Last year I packed way too much. This year it's 2 pairs of shoes, 2 jeans and 3 sweaters with shirts to go under them to wear at night for going out. It really is low key in Keystone.

I think my ski gear will take up more space in my luggage than my other gear!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
226 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Footwear?

Thank you both! I did not know about the VIP Zappos site, what an easy way to shop for shoes. asmit4- good to know that jeans are the way to go for dinners, that's what I was hoping for.

I've never been on a real ski trip before, and I have another stupid question. We are staying at the Lodge & Spa and I know we will need to take a shuttle to the lifts. Do I wear my ski boots this whole time? Or am I supposed to change into the ski boots at the base of the lift and leave my shoes in a locker/basket somewhere? I think I need a Skiing Logistics for Dummies book or something, ha.

We booked our lodging today- getting very excited!

DFW, Texas
Level Contributor
71 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Footwear?

Very good question! I had that in mind but didn't ask so I too will be in style : ) We will be there Christmas Eve through New Year's Day. We have reservations at Stube & Tip for Christmas Eve and New Years Eve. Will that be casual dress as well?

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Footwear?

You can totally wear your ski boots wherever, however if you plan on lingering around for lunch or after skiing for a drink or apps - whatever - it can be uncomfortable. If you have a backpack, you can throw a pair of sneaks in, or get a little storage unit - or just go back, change and then come back. There are prominent signs in places that do not allow ski boots, such as the grocery stores.

As for the Stube and Tip - when I was at the Stube for dinner the other night I saw a couple in FULL ski gear - as if they literally skied up to the gondola got on, and ate dinner at the stube. The majority of folks were wearing casual, but nice clothes - I myself had a pair jeans, dressy shirt, and cute boots. I consider myself a stylish person; I wear jeans everyday - even the summer.

If you wore a sequin top and fancy leather pants with high silver heels - you would still fit in fine. It is a true mix of styles around here. Sometimes people get tired of the casual mountain dress, and special occasions are just the excuse one needs to get dressed up! I say, dress for the weather so you do not fall or get cold - other than that, fair game.

Have Fun!

Edited: 4:00 pm, December 04, 2010
DFW, Texas
Level Contributor
71 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Footwear?

Thank you for your advice.

I think I will bring the sequined top but leave the silver heels at home. Besides don't they provide you with slippers?

We plan to return to our Condo rental after the day of skiing and change out of our ski gear prior to those 2 dinners out.

Other than the Stube, Tip and Lugis Pizza delivery we plan to cook/eat most of our breakfasts and dinners in. I am already freezing chili and other meals to bring and heat up.

I am so glad that we are driving there is so much STUFF to bring on a ski trip!

I so appreciate all the input I get from the people on Tripadvisor to make vacations so much more enjoyable.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,375 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Footwear?

You have good advice, I'd only add that the ride on the Gondola is cold. For those that want to dress up a bit people often wear there ski clothing over their dressier pants and carry their street shoes. You do have to walk a short ways over snow to the second Gondola, it ca be a bit tricky after wine and cocktails! Speaking of which, if no one said already a bottle of something nice is fun for the ride up. Be discreet though.

Agree too that dressy jeans are perfect.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,375 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Footwear?

I made a reservation for the Fondue this weekend. For the first time they sent me an email confirmation. This is from that e-mail.

Let two enclosed gondolas whisk you away to a memorable evening of great family fun and Swiss-style charm. Located at the top of North Peak, at 11,444 feet, our authentic, four-course dinners feature cheese fondue, Caesar salad, choice of entree for raclette grilling, and choice of chocolate fondue. Listen to live Bavarian music as you toast the day with family and friends. Try one of our signature chocolate fondues - the Flaming Turtle will light up your night, or the Dark Chocolate with Hazelnut liqueur is the perfect end to a great experience.

Please be advised that dinner will take approximately two hours, and the gondola rides each way take approximately 40 minutes. Please check in at the Mountain Service Center, located at the base of the River Run Gondola, at least 40 minutes prior to your reservation time to allow for travel time to Der Fondue Chessel. Keystone reminds you that you will be traveling to a remote back country area on an unheated aerial tramway. For your comfort and safety, please come dressed to withstand our high altitude weather changes.

Street shoes including high heels and smooth-soled loafers are not appropriate for our alpine environment.