We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good eating, fun things to do dear Idaho Springs.

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Good eating, fun things to do dear Idaho Springs.

We're staying for a few days near Idaho Springs for the 4th of July this year. Does anyone have suggestions for a great place to eat or other fun things to do *other* than Black Hawk?

I'm especially in need of great seafood (not sushi) and a fabulous steak...or maybe bison?

Thanks!

*Pixie*

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,435 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good eating, fun things to do dear Idaho Springs.

You could take a drive up Mt. Evans. I don't think you'll find seafood in Idaho Springs. The restaurants there are not anything to write home about but I've heard the Italian place is pretty good.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,097 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good eating, fun things to do dear Idaho Springs.

We are planning a trip for August to Winter Park, just over Berthoud Pass from Idaho Springs. Here's some info on places I have been before and places we want to visit!

For higher end restaurants, you will need to go toward Denver. Beau Joes Pizza in Idaho Springs is great. Tommyknockers Brewery and Buffalo Bar & Restaurant have great buffalo burgers. TwoBrothers Deli,

Things to do in and around Idaho Springs: Argo Gold Mine/Mill Tour, a couple of small museums, Indian Hot Springs and Spa, a visit to Georgetown and the Loop Railway there, Guanella Pass Scenic and Historic Byway, rafting, horseback riding, fishing.

In Winter Park there is an Alpine Slide and mountain biking on the ski slopes. A few restaurants we are planning on trying include Deno's Mountain Bistro, Fontenot's

In Morrison east of Idaho Springs is The Fort Restaurant, you will be able to get a great buffalo steak other wild game. Expensive but worth it. www.thefort.com

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good eating, fun things to do dear Idaho Springs.

Nevera, I had Mt. Evans on my list of to-do's already (ourcabin rental is on Chicago Creek) -- thanks for the suggestion!

CasaAzul, I looked up Beau Joes Pizza, Tommyknockers Brewery and Buffalo Bar & Restaurant amdI'm planning a visit to all three! YUM! Thanks for the helpful info I've been craving bison for a while now. (I'd love to try The Fort but Morrison is a bit out of the way).

Have loads of fun in Winter Park! It's a beautiful place but too busy for me, the same for Steamboat. Kremmerling and Granby are more *my* style. :o)

*Pixie*

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
7,302 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good eating, fun things to do dear Idaho Springs.

You could check out nearby Georgetoen - you could do the historic train loop tour there or you could drive up Guanells Pass.

I had s great meal there at a restaurant naned the Euro Grill.

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,435 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good eating, fun things to do dear Idaho Springs.

Guanella Pass out of Georgetown is a beautiful drive and there are several hiking opportunities along the way. The road that you take to get to Mt. Evans Road continues to Evergreen (lots of picnic spots along the road and the views are outstanding). In fact, I just did that trip a couple of days ago and plan to bring my husband back so we can have a cookout.

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good eating, fun things to do dear Idaho Springs.

We just got back and had a fabulous weekend! Those of you who live nearby are very lucky indeed!

Black Hawk isn't much different now even with the 24 hr/day gambling and higher stakes...I still lost more $ thank I should have. :o(

We spent most of July 4th in Georgetown as previously suggested and really had a wonderful time there. I love the history and how downtown has been preserved. The shopping was great also!

We also spent some time in Idaho Springs for the 4th and had an excellent bison burger at the Buffalo Restaurant and Bar. The fireworks that night were also welcoming.

Thanks again for all the advice,

*Pixie*

7. Re: Good eating, fun things to do dear Idaho Springs.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 04, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Idaho Springs