We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hikes for a group of young & fit adults

Excelsior, MN
Level Contributor
24 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Best hikes for a group of young & fit adults

Bringing 6 friends all in our twenties and looking for adventure and challenge. What are your favorite hikes in the Park? Looking for great views.

rky
Estes Park, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park
Level Contributor
627 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hikes for a group of young & fit adults

There's certainly a good number of options. If you can give me some idea of length of hike and time of year you'll be visiting, I can probably narrow down some top choices.

With that said, here's a few I can think of right away:

Twin Sisters

Chasm Lake

Black Lake

Sky Pond

Mount Ida

Some of these hikes - and other suggestions - are listed at ProTrails http://www.protrails.com/areas/view/8. If you have questions about any particular hike, just let us know. Once you provide a little more deatils about length of hike and time of year, I may have some other ideas.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,344 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hikes for a group of young & fit adults

There are miles and there are Rocky miles. A general rule of thumb for gauging hiking times and distances, allow a half hour per mile and a half hour for each 500 ft. gained in elevation.

You posted in the Grand Lake forum. Are you lodging in Grand Lake? If so, you will need to drive Trail Ridge Road over to the eastern side of RMNP for all the hikes rky listed except Mount Ida (which starts about half way across TRR). This is a minimum 90 minute (more like 2 hours with traffic) drive one way and it is not a drive most people want to do in the dark. There are hikes on the western side of RMNP and some of them are on the protrails site rky gave you. Some western side TH's--North Inlet, East Inlet, Green Mountain, Onahu Creek, Bowen-Baker.

Hikes on the eastern side of RMNP tend to be the most popular.

Edited: 10:31 am, April 30, 2012
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
351 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best hikes for a group of young & fit adults

If you do stay on the west side (Grand Lake side) of the park, I highly recommend the East Inlet Trailhead. It's a beautiful hike and you can either take it all the way to Spirit Lake (7.75 miles one way) or stop at either Lone Pine Lake (5.5 miles) or Lake Verna (6.9 miles). It's a fairly strenuous trail. For a list of hiking trails in RMNP: nps.gov/romo/…list_hiking_trails.htm

Enjoy!

4. Re: Best hikes for a group of young & fit adults

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:42 pm, July 20, 2015
Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
329 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best hikes for a group of young & fit adults

My 2 faves are Mills Lake and Emerald Lake. Both have gorgeous views. :)

Excelsior, MN
Level Contributor
24 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best hikes for a group of young & fit adults

Thank you all so much!

For some reason, I was never notified that I had replies. We just got back from our trip three days ago (Saturday) and it was wonderful. We started with East Inlet and hiked up to Lone Pine Lake where the guys and I did some bouldering. Next was Mount Ida where the guys Party Rocked at 12,900 feet, and we finished with North Inlet and climbed around on the rocks, swam in the icy cold water, and splashed around.

We hope to go next year, but I am going to make it a REQUIREMENT that people train. Many of us wanted to do Timber Lake (beautiful hike) but some people didn't want to do that hike.

Thanks again for your help. I will definitely use this information for our return to Grand Lake!

Julia

7. Re: Best hikes for a group of young & fit adults

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, April 27, 2015