We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help for March

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Help for March

Dear Fellow travelers:

I am planning a trip for Spring Break 2012 for 2 adults and 2 kids (9 and 12). We are non-skiers and have no interest in it. Looks like we have found through this forum Snow Mountain Ranch. Would there be any chance of snow in mid March. All our kids would like to do would be to play in snow... Also, it looks like the place is close to Rocky Mountains Ntnl. Prk. What airport should we fly into?

Many thanks,.

Mentioned in this post
Snow Mountain Ranch
Snow Mountain Ranch
367 Reviews
Granby, CO
Rocky Mountains
Rocky Mountains
346 Reviews
Colorado
Colorado
Level Contributor
12,168 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help for March

March is one of the snowiest months in the Rocky Mountains. You will probably find the best fares flying into Denver. It's about a 2 hour 15 min. drive to Grand Lake.

Mentioned in this post
Rocky Mountains
Rocky Mountains
346 Reviews
Colorado
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Grand Lake
Grand Lake
Grand County, CO
Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help for March

Thanks. I am glad to hear. Is there any suggestions for other places close to Denver for non-skiers?

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
11,861 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help for March

Snow Mountain Ranch is a great choice for what you want to do. It is located 23 miles from Grand Lake and the western side of RMNP and 13 miles from Winter Park, between the two towns. As Babalax said, you should have plenty of snow in March. The RMNP rangers lead beginner snowshoe tours on the western side of the park through March 24. This does not take special training. Reservations are required. See the park newspaper for more details. The saying is if you can walk, you can snowshoe. Of course the "Y" also has snowshoe tours along with sledding, tubing, sleigh rides and tons of other activities.

Here is the link for the RMNP winter newspaper. nps.gov/romo/parknews/upload/winter_11.pdf

Mentioned in this post
Snow Mountain Ranch
Snow Mountain Ranch
367 Reviews
Granby, CO
Grand Lake
Grand Lake
Grand County, CO
Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help for March

Do I need to rent any kind of special car? Last year I went to Wyoming from Denver on a Prius and had no problems...

Mentioned in this post
Wyoming
Wyoming
United States
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,861 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help for March

The consensus here on the forum is no special car is needed although rear wheel drive is not encouraged. If you go to the Colorado Forum and look at the "Top Questions" in the upper right hand corner, this is a top question. At www.cotrip.org you will find current road conditons and even cameras for some locations. You do go over Berthoud Pass en route to Snow Mountain Ranch.

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Snow Mountain Ranch
Snow Mountain Ranch
367 Reviews
Granby, CO
Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help for March

Many thanks! I will come back to this forum next year as my plans become more clear.

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help for March

After doing some research i see that Vail is only 40 minutes farther from Denver than the Snow Mountain. What are your thoughts on Vail for us? I was very impressed by the Cordillera Resort and I also saw that there are activities for my family there (such as dog sleding and snow shoeing).

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Vail
Vail
Colorado
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,861 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help for March

If you want to know about Cordillera, post your question in the Vail or Beaver Creek forums. Realize half the country comes to the major Colorado ski resorts over Spring break with good reason!

In the same vicinity of your original question, you might want to check out www.devilsthumbranch.com which I have seen recommended several times here on the forum.

Mentioned in this post
Vail
Vail
Colorado
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help for March

Thanks... What is the general landscape of Snow Mountain when compared to Vail? I would love to stay in an Alpine-like place but I cannot tell from the pics of Snow Mountain...

Mentioned in this post
Vail
Vail
Colorado
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,861 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help for March

On the Snow Mountain Ranch web site, they have webcams. Click on them tomorrow. Also see the traveler photos here on TA with the reviews. There are several winter ones. Here is the link. tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g33449-d283665-…

This post has a question very similar to yours with more replies from different people. You may find it helpful.

tripadvisor.com/…37177575

I need to point out to you that Cordillera Resort and Spa is located in Edwards about 21 miles west from Vail Village.

Mentioned in this post
Snow Mountain Ranch
Snow Mountain Ranch
367 Reviews
Granby, CO
Vail
Vail
Colorado