We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to sleep at high altitude

Kansas
Level Contributor
150 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to sleep at high altitude

I always struggling sleeping in Grand Lake. I can go for 4 nights and still not sleep. Does anyone have any tips that can help? I love Grand Lake and the Rockies but not sleeping is just no fun.

Thanks!

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,797 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to sleep at high altitude

I find Melatonin helps me, as well as acupuncture. You can find Melatonin at any Whole Foods or Nature's Grocer.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,797 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to sleep at high altitude

When I have sleep issues with time zone changes or traveling to new places.

Colorado
Level Contributor
11,655 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to sleep at high altitude

Melatonin is good. People also use valerian.

Our guests usually have the opposite reaction and sleep "too much". : )

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,820 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to sleep at high altitude

I use Melatonin also. Just be sure to use it right when you are ready to call it a night - it wipes me out right away. I got mine at Vitamin Cottage. However, when I googled 'insomnia high altitude" I found out that this is a problem called altitude insomnia caused by the change in air pressure on the lungs. Check out aboutsleepdisorder.com/Altitude-Insomnia.html for more info. It may take sleeping at a lower altitude for you to be able to get over this.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,797 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to sleep at high altitude

FYI: Vitamin Cottage changed their name to Nature's Grocer. :-)

EDIT: Both wrong, LOL! It is Natural Grocer's now.

Edited: 5:15 pm, July 03, 2010
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,766 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to sleep at high altitude

Here's the website for the Institute for Altitude Medicine at Telluride.

http://altitudemedicine.org/altSick.php

Difficulty sleeping is one of the symptoms of altitude sickness, so since you know you are affected you might check with your physician, who might prescribe diamox. If you and your physician want to learn more about this condition, the Institute for Altitude Medicine is one good resource, even giving a link for healthcare providers.

One of the things all the research I can find says to sleep at an intermediate altitude for one or more days before sleeping at the higher altitude to help the body acclimate. Some people notice that this helps quite a bit; others still have trouble with the higher altitude; some don't have a problem at all.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,820 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to sleep at high altitude

You can always tell how long someone has lived in a town by what name they refer to a store by - I never noticed the sign being changed to Natural Grocer's - thanks for the heads up.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,797 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to sleep at high altitude

I think it only changed about 6 months or so ago.

9. Re: Getting to sleep at high altitude

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, December 31, 2010