We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

supermarket

Bedford UK
Level Contributor
237 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
supermarket

Hi

We will be driving the interstate from Denver to Castle Valley Utah and thought this might be a good place to stop and buy groceries as we intend to visit Colorado National Monument.

Can anyone tell me of supermarkets located off the interstate or near the monument.

We've quite liked Safeways on our previous visits but are juwst looking for a store with a decent range of fruit/veg etc.

Thanks

Betty

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,869 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: supermarket

Try www.safeway.com then punch in Grand Junction,CO in their store locator. I saw 3 listed. I think the Broadway store may be closest to the Monument. Make sure you get a Safeway card. It will definitely save you money.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: supermarket

Before you get to Grand Junction there is a little town called Palisades. They have farm stands right off the highway exit, great place to get some local produce, especially the peaches.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,407 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: supermarket

I second the idea of getting your fruits and vegetables from a farm stand if possible. They are just delicious. They will be much fresher than what you find in the grocery store and it supports the local growers.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,607 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: supermarket

I live in Fruita and we have a City Market that is viewable from I-70. City Market is part of the Kroger chain so if you have a value card from any of their stores you can get great deals on their store brands and weekly specials. Just take the Fruita exit, and the store is to the right. And to the left is the CO National Monument (which I can see from my front yard). Hope you have a great time while you are here.

Bedford UK
Level Contributor
237 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: supermarket

Thank you for all the responses.

The info about farm stands is useful. We may try this as well as heading for the supermarket.

There is a safeway off the exit 31 road which I think we take to get to Colorado Monument and if we miss that then City Market should be at about the point we rejoin the interstate3.

Betty

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,607 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: supermarket

The best way to get to the CO National Monument is from Fruita. As I mentioned it can be seen from my front yard. Take exit 19 - that way you avoid driving through Grand Junction's business area and you get directly to within about 4 miles of the Monument's west entrance. Exit 31 will make for a long, long drive on the business loop and then on a narrow curvy residential road to get to the east entrance to the Monument.

There really isn't a Safeway anywhere near to the Monument or on the route to the Monument. Around here their prices are higher than City Market and not so many people shop them so there are fewer of them around.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,500 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: supermarket

Exit 31 is Horizon Drive, I believe. Instead of taking that exit, you could stop at a couple of the farm stands at Palisade, then go to the Fruita exit (and City Market) and take the Rim Rock Drive to the visitor center, then complete the drive or hiking or whatever. Then exit the Monument and loop back to the Interstate on Broadway (340), correct, SusieLou? That would save you time driving through town and get you to the visitor center at the beginning of your visit. I know the Monument website says to take exit 31 for visitors driving east to west, but I think its better to take the Fruita exit if you don't have other shopping or business in the City of Grand Junction.

Here's another thread discussing the drive through the Monument:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g33450-i1252-k3625…

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,607 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: supermarket

Yep, exit 31 is Horizon Dr. where there are several hotels and a Safeway is down the road. For some reason I was thinking the Clifton exit. Oh, well. Anyway, Palisade is well known for their excellent fruit and other produce so it is a great idea. Fresher and tastier than any in the store, especially the peaches. It's very easy to get off the interstate and on again there.

I often drive the Monument from Fruita to its east entrance, turn around and drive back again to Fruita. You will see new sights since things that were blocked before will be visible on the return trip. But if you are done with that then Broadway (340 on the Redlands) is also nice. If you drive along the Monument boundary on the Redlands back towards Fruita that is where you might see the bighorn sheep herd.

Edited: 5:53 pm, June 06, 2011
9. Re: supermarket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, October 04, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Grand Junction