We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stop, help needed

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
where to stop, help needed

We are coming over from UK and will be stopping in Gunnison for 1 night aiming for Grand junction following days. we don't want to drive more than 80 ish miles per day (pref) we were thinking of spending night in Delta to break journey up.

Is this a nice town and is it worth the stop off. or would you advise going from Gunnison to Grand juction without stopping overnight?

Maybe thru crested Butte? Want to stay where it will be hot and not too high altitude.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,394 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stop, help needed

80 miles a day won't get you very far in the western US!

I would just do the drive from Gunnison to Grand Junction, it is only 125 miles or so and only 2+ hours. The route through Crested Butte will be more high altitude and a much more isolated drive.

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,289 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stop, help needed

is Delta worth the stop? NO

Delta to Grand Junction is a straight highway where you can go ~60 miles per hour. It takes all of ~1 hr to drive and it is an easy drive.

Plus, this will give you some time to go up to Colorado National Monument the next day.

Fruita, Colorado
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stop, help needed

I have to agree. Delta is a very nice town but you won't find much to do there. Colorado National Monument is not to be missed. The 23 mile drive through is awe inspiring and if you have time there are many trails within the park, some as short as a mile or two round trip. Have fun!!

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stop, help needed

Thanks,

Itinery (which i have changed so much) is leave Denver next morning after long flight, drive to and stay in Buena vista for 1 night, carry on to Gunnison (want to see pioneer museum as well as lovely scenery,)

We are not hikers etc, just love to drive thru nice towns and see lovely scenery, stoping for night to hopefully, park our convertable and walk to nice local restaurants (so hubby can have a drink!!).

We were planning on 1 nights stay in Grand junction, would you suggest leave out Delta and go from Gunnison to GJ but staying 2 nights? enough time to see everything.

We intend to go on to Glenwood springs for 1 night and vail for 1 nights followed by 2 nights on Lake Dillon, stopping at Georgetown railway.

We like mooching and some museums with western stuff sound ok, plus nice warm/hot weather.

Felt this itinery would give us different feel to areas.

Fruita, Colorado
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stop, help needed

It looks like your itinerary will take you through some of the finest mountain scenery in Colorado. As you head towards Grand Junction should notice that the temperature will start to rise and the scenery to dry out. I would definitely skip the overnight stop in Delta. As an alternative to staying in Delta you might want to consider detouring to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison for a few hours. The entrance is only about ten miles northeast of Delta. As canyons go (and we've seen many) this one ranks number one on the vertigo list. And you can enjoy it from the many scenic pullouts along the road. Do you enjoywine? If so, there are several nice wineries in Palisade, which is just a few miles from Grand Junction as you head towards Glenwod Springs. By the way, when are you visiting? I only mention this as it is wonderfully warm here in May, warm/hot in June and scorching in July.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Steamboat Springs
Level Contributor
533 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stop, help needed

You could consider taking Hiway 133 out of Delta up to Glenwood Springs. It would add some time onto your drive as the driving is slower than thru Grand Junction but is cuts through Grand Mesa National Forest and is a pretty drive. If you are not going to see Colorado National Monument in Grand Junction the scenery is not as beautiful there as the other areas you are hitting plus the drive on I-70 till just before the Glenwood Canyon is boring.

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,289 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stop, help needed

the above suggestion is actually really good, going to Glenwood via the Grand Mesa (beautiful up top). You may want to look around for a cabin to stay in up on the Grand Mesa.

If you go to Grand Junction, would not stay 2 nights, would still stay 1. Add that night on somewhere else.

Maybe stay a night as planned in Glenwood, drive to Aspen (stay the night there) and then drive over Independance Pass, to Leadville, to Minturn and into Vail.

Or

add a night in Glenwood-day drive and back to Glenwood (hot springs or Vapor Caves there).

or

add a night in Vail (lots to do there)

Enjoy!

Matt

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stop, help needed

Thanks for all replies,

We will be arriving 3 September for 10 days, so hope the weather will be nice and hot, though coming from NW area of UK hot to me is mid 70's to low 80's!!

As much as scenery matters (and it does) it's important to us to get good weather, as our last 2 holidays to US have had horrible weather, which spoiled things a bit..

Sounds like Vail is worth more than 1 night, we love the look of this place, i like quaint and don't mind at all that its not 'real'. We like nice places and a bit of escapisim, don't want too much hard reality on my hols, if you know what i mean..

We picked some of the places because the altitude was not as bad (generally) as have read some horror stories regarding altitude sickness.

Welcome imput as this route though nearly right can be fine tuned a bit.

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,289 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to stop, help needed

well during that timeframe, would definitely skip Grand Junction and add time in either

Glenwood

Vail

Aspen

I would say you are looking at 90's in Grand Junction in early September.

That time of year is generally beautiful in the mountains.

In fact, not sure if going on the Western Slope is your best bet if all you are going to do is try to make a beeline for Glenwood Springs.

May want to consider.

Gunnison to Buena Vista (hot springs in the area if you like that sort of thing and rafting) the area also has some nice ghost towns to drive to.

Buena Vista to Aspen via Independance Pass

Aspen to Glenwood Springs

Glenwood Springs to Vail

Vail to Dillon

Dillon to Denver

Just a thought

Just a thought.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to stop, help needed

Altitude sickness is different for everyone. If you are in poor health it could be of concern, but if you keep hydrated, avoid too much alcohol and take it slow you should be fine. There are so many beautiful places to visit in the Colorado mountains, the weather should be warm and some of the leaves may be turning, it would be a shame to miss some great places because of the altitude. Hope you have a wonderful time. DM

Get answers to your questions about Grand Junction