We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?

USA-NC
Level Contributor
210 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay?

I'm coming by myself to Grand Junction for 6 days in the summer. Does anyone have a recommendation of where to stay that would be safe and not break the bank? I have had bad experiences with motels/hotels that let you drive up to your door. I would prefer a B&B or a hotel with indoor hallways. Thanks!

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay?

There isn't a lot to choose from in Grand Junction--about the best youcould possibly do is a 3* hotel/motel. Most are the standard 2* type: Days Inn, Ramada Inn, etc. Regarding safety, Grand Junction is a very safe place; you really don't need to worry.

If I were you, I'd use Priceline and bid for a 3*. Priceline uses only hotels/motels that they feel are in safe areas (there would be too many complaints otherwise). The 2*accomodations are going for $30.00 a night on Priceline; I don't know about the 3*, but obviously, you wouldn't have to pay all that much if you use Priceline.

Do your research on www.biddingfortravel.com In the Colorado list, you'll find a listing that says "Colorado all other towns hotels" or something close to that. It will tell you what hotels Priceline uses in Grand Junction. Then go to the biddingfortravel forum and look to see what bids are currently being accepted for what hotels.

Mentioned in this post
Days Inn Grand Junction
Days Inn Grand Junction
694 Reviews
Grand Junction, CO
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Level Contributor
27 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay?

I just returned from a trip to Colorado during the first week in June. My husband and I stayed at the Grand Vista Hotel in Grand Junction for two nights. We also stayed there on a trip we took 8 years ago. I have to say that it is a very nice hotel. The rooms are clean and spacious and the staff is friendly and helpful. Best of all, for you, it has indoor corridors and seems to be in a nice, safe area. Grand Junction is a great little town (its small to me because I live in Philadelphia) but it has all the big city conveniences--shopping, restaurants, a nice little downtown area, and even some wineries. Best of all, it is close to everything you could want to do outdoors. As an added benefit of staying at the Grand Vista Hotel--the prices are very fair. My husband and I paid about $69.00 per night-- and that came with a free hot breakfast buffet for both of us. It was the least expensive stop on our itinerary.

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Grand Vista Hotel
Grand Vista Hotel
518 Reviews
Grand Junction, CO
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay?

And it's the only 3*hotel in Grand Junction that Priceline uses, so a 3*bid will get it. Try a bid of 1/2 the hotel's rate. If that isn't accepted, try again a few dollars higher in 3 days. :)

USA-NC
Level Contributor
210 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay?

Thanks for all of the info, but it's kind of confusing. I looked up the reviews for the Grand Vista hotel on this website, and they were awful!!! Dirty rooms, etc. What's the real story about this place?

USA-NC
Level Contributor
210 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay?

I just noticed the Hawthorn suites received good reviews. Does anyone have any experience with this one?

Chicago, IL
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay?

My husband and I stayed at Hawthorne Suites for 4 days in late May. The location can't be beat as it is on Main Street and you can walk to restaurants and shops. The hotel is very clean and the staff friendly and helpful. The rooms are spacious and have a couch sitting area as well as a refrigerator, microwave and coffee. We will stay again on our return in the fall. Our rate was $99 per night.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay?

Do you have to stay in Grand Junction itself? We just returned from staying in Fruita which is only about 10 miles away and have nothing but fabulous things to say about the La Quinta Inn & Suites located there. The staff was fabulous, virtually no noise, impeccably clean. It was one of 4 hotels we stayed in this past week, the cheapest of all of them and by far the best.

Mentioned in this post
Fruita
Fruita
Colorado
La Quinta Inn & Suites Grand Junction
La Quinta Inn & Suites...
666 Reviews
Grand Junction, CO
USA-NC
Level Contributor
210 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay?

No, I don't have to stay in Grand Junction, but since I have a meeting there everyday I will have a lot of free time and it seems more convenient if I can walk around the town when I want to.

smyrna, north...
Level Contributor
44 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay?

i was in grand junction last week-6/11/05. i stayed at the hampton inn. jacuzzi suite was very reasonable. rooms were great, indoor hallways. near downtown shops, restaurants etc.

felt completely at ease with the location. hope this helps.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay?

Since you have daily meetings then yes find a hotel in the downtown historic section and have a wonderful time. While Fruita is close no need driving everyday to catch a meeting. Grand Junction is much bigger and you'll find everything you are acustomed to seeing at home, Krispy Kreme, Olive Garden Target etc, or you can hang around the downtown area that is more quaint. Grand Junction also has a large number of wineries that you can tour in your free time.

Get answers to your questions about Grand Junction