We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where's the best place to white water raft near Granby, CO

Jenison, Michigan
2 posts
Save Topic
Where's the best place to white water raft near Granby, CO

Where's the best place to white water raft near Granby, CO during the first week of Sept? I'm looking for a medium difficutly and definitely don't want a "lazy river" type ride. Also, which one is most scenic?

3 replies to this topic
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,778 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where's the best place to white water raft near Granby, CO

americanwhitewater.org/content/…

As you can see from the river conditons in Colorado at the above link, what you are seeking is probably not available especially this year. It is a stretch for many rafting companies to stay open past Labor Day even in good years. This year was record low snowpack.

The closest rafting to Granby would be on the Colorado River near Kremmling or on Clear Creek near Idaho Springs.

visitgrandcounty.com/activities/…

This link lists companies serving the Grand Lake/Granby/Winter Park area.

Jenison, Michigan
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where's the best place to white water raft near Granby, CO

Thanks FV1989.

I've been in contact with MadAdventures.com and they also told me the water levels are low at that time of year. They also said the Colorado River andthe Cache la Poudre river are still both high enough to raft on. They said the Upper Colorado River is more of a scenic float trip while the Poudre offers more of a white water experience, although it will be a mild experience this time of year. Sounds like you're from the Granby area. Which rafting experience would you recommend? Also, is MadAdventures a good company to go with?

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,778 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where's the best place to white water raft near Granby, CO

All the rafting companies that raft the Cache La Poudre are planning to close for the season on August 31. They have already discontinued some runs. See their web sites.

www.A1wildwater.com

www.awanderlustadventure.com

www.raftmwd.com

www.shoprma.com (sister company to Mad)

www.rapidtransitrafting.com

Even if they were not closing on Aug. 31, it is more than a 3 hour drive one way to get to these companies in Fort Collins from Granby. The Poudre was as low as I can remember for this time of year when I was in the canyon a couple of weeks ago.

From Granby to Kremmling (Colorado River) is about 40 minutes. It is a float trip. I have no personal experience with Mad, but RMA their sister company in Fort Collins has an excellent reputation.

The time to go white water rafting in Colorado is generally late May, June and July, maybe early August in good snowpack years but not September.

Reply to: Where's the best place to white water raft near Granby, CO
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Granby
Recent Conversations