We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bryce to Greenwood springs

Which Glenwood Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Bryce to Greenwood springs

Hi we are travelling in July from bryce canyon to glenwood springs, is this to far in a day, would we be better to maybe stop over in green river for a night. or carry onto glenwood springs and have the extra night there, on a road trip from the Uk, will have 2 teenagers as well in the car.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bryce to Greenwood springs

If it was my choice I'd travel Hwy 12 thru Boulder Ut and Capitol Reef park, then north towards Goblin Valley and Little Wildhorse slot canyon. Then stay the nite in Green River. A lot of stuff to see in a day between Bryce and Green River.

It's probably 6-7 hrs of driving direct to Glenwood with maybe a lunch, gas stop.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bryce to Greenwood springs

I would take hwy 12 also, it's beautiful out there and seems a shame to spend it on a highway. When you do get on I-70 in Colorado be sure to stop in Palisaides at the farm stands just off the highway exit, the peaches are exceptional.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bryce to Greenwood springs

Hi thanks, yes we had been thinking of hwy 12, i think we will stop over in green river, rather than carry on to glenwood, then we can take our time and make a few stops on the way, thanks again,

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
9,982 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bryce to Greenwood springs

I have to disagree. In July, I would head for Colorado and opt for the extra night in Glenwood Springs. I'd get an early start so I could stop a few times along the way, but would rather have my extra night in Glenwood (or even Grand Junction if Glenwood is a little too far) than Green River.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bryce to Greenwood springs

I agree with missp. Green River is in the middle of a desert and it will be hot, hot, hot in July. weather-warehouse.com/WeatherHistory/PastWea… Every year they average over 100 degrees F in July (think around 40 degrees C). Go for the cool mountains of CO and enjoy green mountains not green water.

Edited: 11:29 am, January 28, 2012
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bryce to Greenwood springs

Thanks for your replies its just that 6/7 hours is a long drive to go all the way to glenwood springs, if we go all the way we wont have time for many stops ,we only picked green river as a sleepover place, not sure what to do !!

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
9,982 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bryce to Greenwood springs

What does the rest of your itinerary look like? You weren't planning a stop in Moab to see Arches National Park?

You could drive as far as Grand Junction, where you'll find a wide variety of lodging and restaurants (and those famous Palisade peaches and maybe some 'Olathe Sweet' sweet corn) plus maybe a quick visit to Colorado National Monument. Then you'll have an easy drive to Glenwood Springs the next day and be able to get there early in the day.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bryce to Greenwood springs

That would be a great idea - Grand Junction and Fruita have lots of lodging options and the CO National Monument is a real hidden gem. Plus those peaches - oh my, my. My mouth is watering just thinking about them. Hurry up peach season.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bryce to Greenwood springs

On the subject of peaches...I made Palisade Peach Butter last year and canned a bunch so I can eat it all winter, it has made me a very happy girl.

Back to the OP, Grand Junction would be a much nicer stop than Green River. A general overview of your trip would help us help you more.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
16,874 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bryce to Greenwood springs

We stay in Green River a lot. it's a fine place for a stopover. We prefer the Comfort Inn. Best Western is also very nice, probably better. Ray's Tavern will be a memorable stop for dinner there for burgers or steaks. As noted, Grand Junction offers more diversity but is another hour down the road.

Have fun.