We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August 2011

Detroit
Level Contributor
223 posts
1 review
Save Topic
August 2011

My family including my wife and 17 and 9 year old sons will be have about 5-6 days in Colorado next August. We were planning on spending time in Beaver Creek and we have recently heard about Glenwood Springs. We will be coming from Las Vegas and plan to fly into Denver. If it were you, would you drive from Las Vegas to Glenwood Springs to fly to Denver and then rent a car? How much time would you allocate between Beaver Creek and Glenwood Springs?

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August 2011

Beaver Creek is about an hour's drive from Glenwood Springs. Alligent Air ( http://www.allegiantair.com/) has very inexpensive flights from Las Vegas to Grand Junction, but they only run certain days. Grand Junction is about 2 hours from Beaver Creek. I would only do the drive from Vegas if there was something you planned on seeing along the way like the Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde, Moab...

Mentioned in this post
Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
7,043 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August 2011

I sure wouldn't spend my time driving from Las Vegas when there are such good deals to be had on Allegiant Airlines. Currently you can get an adult ticket for around $30 before taxes from Las Vegas to Grand Junction. Remember when you rent a car from one location and return it to a different location there are additional charges so if you rent in Las Vegas and return it in Denver that might be expensive. Unless you really want to go to Denver you might fly home out of Grand Junction, we have the largest regional airport between Salt Lake City and Denver and that way you could see Beaver Creek and Aspen and Glenwood Springs.

Mentioned in this post
Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August 2011

If flying out of Las Vegas to Glenwood, you would have to fly into Aspen, Eagle or Grand Junction. Glenwood does not have a commercial airport. From Glenwood to Denver is about 3 hrs by car and well worth the drive. Tons of beautiful scenery and great mountain towns along the way. I think flying into western Colorado and driving to Denver is a great idea because of all the great scenery you will get see along the way as well as the unique towns you can visit.

Mentioned in this post
Glenwood Suites
Glenwood Suites
368 Reviews
Glenwood Springs, CO
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Boulder, CO
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: August 2011

If it were me I wouldn't spend a lot of time in the car driving from Las Vegas to Glenwood. Like others have said before, I think flying into Grand Junction is the right move (assuming you can get a good rate.)

The drive (from Grand Junction or from Denver depending on where you fly into) is beautiful, specifically the stretch of I-70 that goes through the Glenwood Canyon.

There's so much to do that time of year, sounds like you'll have a blast. Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Glenwood Suites
Glenwood Suites
368 Reviews
Glenwood Springs, CO
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Glenwood Canyon
Glenwood Canyon
56 Reviews
Colorado
5. Re: August 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, April 04, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Glenwood Springs