We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Frisco good for a large family in March?

Which Frisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boca Raton, FL
Level Contributor
253 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Is Frisco good for a large family in March?

We'll be 6 adults and 4 kids. I was thinking Frisco because we can get more house for our rental dollar and we can get to mutliple mountains in a short drive. I've ski'd just about every resort in the Rockies but I've always stayed on Mountain. This time I'm treating a large group as a Christmas gift so I'm trying to get more value per night. Am I on the right track? Is there another town I should look at?

Frisco, CO
Level Contributor
159 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Frisco good for a large family in March?

Frisco is definitely a great choice! For a party of 10, you can either find a great townhome or even book a couple of condos within the same complex. Since you are coming with kids, I would recommend looking at complexes that offer a nice clubhouse with pool, hottubs etc so that the kids can have a great time away from the slopes too. Lagoon and MountainSide condos both offer this.

Frisco has a lot to offer. Great shopping, great restaurants, an Adventure park (tubing) just a few minutes from all lodging, trailheads if you enjoy showshoeing, and pretty scenery.

Silverthorne and Dillon are neighboring towns and there are lots of great accommodations there too. Have fun!

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Frisco good for a large family in March?

I think Frisco is your best bet if you don't want to stay at a ski area (definitely avoid Silverthorn--it's gross suburban sprawl, not like a mountain vacation at all), but do think about the logistics with a large group. If there are multiple cars and/or people don't mind using the shuttles, it will work fine. But when I've skied with large family groups we've stayed slopeside because people want to be able to come and go as they please. There is always a kid that doesn't feel good and wants to go home; an early bird that must make first chair, an adult that is battling elevation sickness and wants to go home earlier than everyone else; someone that forgot something and needs to go home, etc etc. So having a vacation house that is easily accessible from skiing is really a priority for our group. I know yours may be different , just something to think about. If you are set on Summit County, Copper Mountain has some relatively reasonably priced slopeside accomodations.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Frisco good for a large family in March?

If you mean Christmas this year and not 2013 you may find options very limited. Christy1 makes good points skiing with kids. Easy access to your condo is important IMO. Consider either Keystone or Copper.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,712 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Frisco good for a large family in March?

WOW! I didn't realize where the locals live is considered gross suburban sprawl! If you think that is sprawl, how can you handle Seattle?

Anyway... Frisco is a lovely little mountain town with lots of shops and restaurants within easy walking distance, for the most part. It feels more local than touristy. I would suggest renting near main street to have that quaint local mountain town feel - there are a few homes that are quite large for rent around town too. There is the Nordic center, and tubing adventure park in town too. Two Below Zero - dinner sled ride - is based in Frisco. Plus there is easy access to our county's free Summit Stage bus.

If you want to spend a little less $ than Frisco you can consider the Wildernest and Mesa Cortina areas - basically part of Silverthorne GASP - it is a community of mostly condos/townhomes and a few houses. There is a healthy mix of locals and tourists alike. You can find large rental places with community pools/hot tubs/etc. Some places have really gorgeous views there. There is also Summit Stage bus stops all along the WIldernest road of Ryan Gulch.

Frisco, CO
Level Contributor
159 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Frisco good for a large family in March?

I recommended Frisco as well since you mentioned driving to different mountains. Now, if you decide to ski in one single place only, I would also recommend that you book close to the slopes so that you can take breaks whenever you feel like it if you have younger kids. For older kids, it won't matter as I bet that they wouldn't mind to experience 'the scene' if they are done earlier than anyone else.

Let us know when you end up booking and how you liked it.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,725 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Frisco good for a large family in March?

I love Frisco, it is very charming. Years, well decades ago, when we visited from out of state that is where we placed ourselves. We liked to ski different places, the bus systems works well and there are plenty of dining options to walk to.

Before we bought in Keystone we had a place in the Wildernest area that 1fourfun mentioned. I liked it too. Great access to National Forest should any want to take a day off from skiing for a snowshoe or cross country ski.

One of my favorite outings is to park at the trail head at the bottom of Ryan Gulch rd, across from the gas station and take the free bus up to the top and ski to Lily pads trail then backtrack to the Salt lick trail then it is all downhill. Very fun!!

Downside to Wildernest is that you'd have to drive to eat out. Great place though if you are looking for a big house for not a lot of $$$ and plan on skiing multiple places.

1fourfun is right too about the views. Amazing!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,725 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Frisco good for a large family in March?

I wanted to add that if you really want to stay Slopeside at a bargain rate check VRBO and CL

http://www.vrbo.com/10037#rates as an example

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Frisco good for a large family in March?

There is a good free transportation system in Summit county (Summit Stage). So, if some people in your group do get done early, they can catch the stage back. With that being said, the Summit Stage has limited stops in Frisco, so the possibilities of being close to the Stage are not great especially if you are looking for a single family home.

check www.vrbo.com, flipkey.com...compare it to on-site places ala Copper Mtn. March will be busy due to spring break. While all mountains will be busy, I typically find Copper to be not as busy as the others, thus if you are comparing an on mtn. property, might want to look at Copper.

Might as well look at 2 units in the same complex vs a large single family home just to compare price. As someone mentioned, the upside of staying in a condo complex is many have amenities that the kids might enjoy.

In Frisco, look at Cross Creek, Mountain Side, Lagoon, Ten Mile Island, Ten Mile Creek...probably missing 1 or 2 with a pool but that should get you started. Cross Creek and Ten Mile Island are probably about a 2-3 minute walk from the free stage stop. Cross Creek is a nicer place than Ten Mile Island so expect higher costs.

Single Family Home: If you are in the Mountain Side Subdivision, many of the patio homes in this subdivision have access to the Mountain Side complex amenities (pool, indoor/outdoor hot tubs, racquetball court...)

Matt

9. Re: Is Frisco good for a large family in March?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, December 17, 2013