We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Central location?

Which Frisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Topic
Central location?

We are planning a trip to the area. The original plan was to stay in Breckenridge. We are 11 people, 1st time skiers (2 have once). Found out that one would like to try all three resorts, Breckenridge, Keystone, and Copper Mountain. Would Frisco be a good central location and would we be able to catch the shuttle here and not have to drive each day. We are flying into Denver and figure it might be cheaper to rent a van/car instead of shuttling from the airport. Any advice on that? Thank you?

1. Re: Central location?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:37 pm, September 27, 2010
Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Central location?

My understanding is that the shuttle is around $70 per person one way. Is that true or did I get the wrong information. I would rather do that but If my family is 6 people then we are talking $840 and we could rent an auto for less. That is the only reason that we would rent a car. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Central location?

The rates on the shuttles depends on the dates of travel, but yes, it is around $70/person each way. I just checked with Powderhound, if there are six riders, the price drops to $60/person.

With 6 passengers, you would have to rent a van or SUV, so you would probably be looking at around the same price for a week as what the shuttle would cost. Then the question is, how comfortable are you driving in snow?

Colorado
Level Contributor
391 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Central location?

CME is the most widely used shuttle (www.ridecme.com). It is either $79 per person one way, or $495 each way for a entire van. Renting a big vehicle could be pretty costly as well, and then of course ensure if you will have any parking fees where you are staying.

If you want to catch the local shuttle that is a good option, just build time into your schedule to allow. Alternatively you could stay at one of the resorts, and at least for one or two days you wouldn't need to shuttle. Keystone and Copper would be cheaper to stay at, Breck has more night life depending on what you want to do. If you want a central point, Dillon or Frisco are pretty good choices and between all three resorts.

Denver
Level Contributor
123 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Central location?

Re the shuttle, if there are 11 people, then you would need to rent two vans/cars, at least. But I can understand not wanting to pay that shuttle price! Maybe, for maximum flexibility, have some people take the shuttle, but rent one vehicle for people to use. That way, it would be available for times that some of the people want to drive somewhere.

Frisco would be the most central location, but that would mean that you'd always have to take a shuttle or bus somewhere. I'd suggest that you instead choose one resort and stay there. That way, when you're skiing there, it will be easy to get to that resort. And then those who want to try out another resort can take a shuttle or bus or rental vehicle to that. And while I don't ever take shuttles to resorts any more (we have a condo in Breck and drive to wherever), and so I'm not that knowledgeable about taking them, I think taking a shuttle or bus from Frisco to wherever might involve some hassle. I do know how to get from Frisco to Breckenridge. You'd have to get yourself to the bus stop (the free Summit Stage), there are several in town, with your gear; depending on where your lodging is, it would be a short or a long walk. But once you get on the bus, it's a 10-minute ride to the central station in Breck, where you then take a gondola up to the foot of the Peak 8 base area at the resort.

6. Re: Central location?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, September 28, 2010
Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Central location?

I think Frisco is an excellent idea! Of all the towns it is the one town that feels like a local's mountain town - because it is! Sure there are locals in all the other towns too, but tons of tourists also. Frisco will not be as crowded, but there are still tons of things happening here. You can visit the town's website to see if anything is posted on the calendar for your dates yet. www.TownOfFrisco.com

Frisco has everything Breck has, just less of it. We have a Main Street with shops, restaurants, spas, etc - but it is probably 25% the size of Breck's. Frisco is a central location for all the resorts and as such the CME shuttle has the main transfer station in Frisco ($55 each way). You can catch a bus direct to Copper Mountain (10 minutes) or Breck's Gondola (20 minutes) from several places in Frisco, Keystone would require a transfer. There are taxi's in the area too. Maybe the shuttle and a local car rental for a day or two would be a good combo? Many people use cost as a deciding factor on a rental car, but there are other reasons to take a shuttle too; such as not having to worry about driving in the snow, directions, buying gas, drinking and driving, etc.

Keep in mind you can use your ski pass for Breck and Keystone interchangeably - Copper is a separate ski resort company. If you think for financial reasons you only wish to get a discounted peak pass ticket for the week, then you may wish to reconsider your lodging location. Personally I think a first time skier would be happier getting to know the trails on one (maybe 2) mountains, it seems they might feel more comfortable knowing what to expect on the various trails. Also make sure to get lessons, do not try to have a go at it first. There are many lodging (for all the mountain towns), lesson, lift ticket, and equipment rental combo packages out there for you to choose.

Have Fun!

Edited: 2:00 pm, September 27, 2010
8. Re: Central location?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 27, 2011