We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping or not?

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
321 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Camping or not?

We are wanting to stay in the Frisco area overnight on a weekday near the end of June. Most of our trip we are camping but I noticed on the reservation website that the White River NF campgrounds near Frisco have been affected by the pine beetle and offer little shade. If anyone has visited any of these campgrounds recently can you tell me how much of a problem this is and which is the best campground?

Because we are on a tight budget we want to avoid spending much on accommodation. If we decide not to camp here does anyone have any recommendations for reasonably priced accommodation. Frisco Lodge Bed & Breakfast looks appealing. The Summit Inn and Dillon Inn also seem to be reasonably priced. Any opinions on these options?

At this time of the year is it best to book or can we just turn up?

Sorry there are so many questions but I hope someone can help.

Thanks

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping or not?

Ahh Whakatane, good memories.

No need to pre-book if you are coming during the week.

Look at Fireside Inn in Breckenridge.

http://www.firesideinn.com/

Not sure what campground to recommend, they all got hit pretty good with the pine beetle and have started to take the trees down, so they all may be somewhat exposed.

matt

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,435 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping or not?

However, even though the campsites are exposed does not mean that they will be hot as our temperatures in June can be 30 at night and 70 during the day.

Dillon Inn and Frisco Lodge are nice places, not fond of Summit Inn. You can have a look at Galena Street Inn (wwww.galenastreetinn.com) or Snowshoe Motel (www.snowshoemotel.com) in Frisco as well for a reasonable overnight accommodation. Both are walking distance from restaurants and shops along with Frisco Lodge. Frisco Lodge also has an internet cafe.

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
321 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping or not?

Thanks for the advice. I think we will just turn up as it doesn't sound like it will be too busy at that time of the year. With not making a booking if the weather is nice we will camp, otherwise we will try and stay at one of these b&b or motel options.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,713 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping or not?

There is a beach campsite on the southern part of the lake that is nice. You will not be soo close to I-70 to hear the tracker trailers driving by as clearly. It is beach side and popular, called Windy Point.

One of my favorite spots is 'Hecla's Junction' in the Nathrop area. It is the pull out for a lot of rafting companies, so during the day it can be a little busy at times. I have this thing about when we camp I 'must' be near some water.

I am not sure where your entire trip is taking you; If you are going to find yourself in the Flaming Gorge area, there is a fantastic backcountry spot on a Peninsula near the lake. You can easily drive to it, there is a soft rock/pebble beach. I felt like we were in a Jeep commercial! We did have a bear stalk our tent, but he moved on. If you are going there, PM me and I will give you directions.

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
321 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping or not?

I'm interested to see your comments about the Windy Point campground FourFun but when I checked it out on recreation.gov website it says it for groups. The nearby campgrounds (Prospector and Lowry) look like they are closed due to pine beetle. The only one I could see that was open and was not near I-70 is Peak One. Is anyone familiar with that campsite? With so few campgrounds open I am leaning towards booking a campsite or other accommodation but I'll give it more thought and I'm open to suggestions.

I had to look Nathrop and Flaming Gorge up on a map. I don't think we will be going near either but I will definitely keep them in mind if our route changes or for another trip.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,713 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping or not?

I lumped Windy Point in with Prospector, sorry, its basically the same spot. Unless this is the first season it is closed, I am surprised to hear that. See the campground maps in the link below. I thought of another one... Just north of Silverthorne, about 5 miles maybe, is a campground right next to the Blue River, it is a nice wooded spot. You can watch Kayaks and rafts go by. I think it is called Blue River Campground. The campgrounds may say closed now for timber and/or beetle kill work - but I am sure they will be open in the summer. Try calling or emailing the Dillon Ranger Station for specifics. justhttp://www.dillonrangerdistrict.com/campgrounds.htm

7. Re: Camping or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, October 22, 2009