We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horsetooth Reservoir Camping cabins

Which Fort Collins hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Prairie du Chien...
Level Contributor
19 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Horsetooth Reservoir Camping cabins

Has anyone stayed at the cabins ? Thinking of staying there 3 nights in April. Is there alot to do there or will 3 days be too much? I guess they are called Southbay camper cabins and are supposed to be along a river or lake? How are the cabins? any thoughts would be helpful.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
9,836 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Horsetooth Reservoir Camping cabins

www.co.larimer.co.us/parks/camper_cabins.htm

I am not a camper but live in the Fort Collins area. The cabins are called "camping" cabins for a reason and if you really love to camp, they should be just fine. Realize there are no sheets, towels or blankets provided and there is no cooking inside the cabins. You will need coolers/ice for food storage unless you plan to drive into town for all your meals. No, there is not enough to do for three days at Horsetooth Reservoir in April in my opinion. The water level is extremely low right now due to the drought and last year's 87,000 acre High Park Fire. The reservoir is just on the outskirts of the towns of Loveland and Fort Collins, something of an urban oasis but not a getting away from it all type experience. I can see the reservoir dam from my house.

If you are looking for a cabin experience, I would look in Poudre Canyon, Big Thompson Canyon, or in Estes Park for something a little less rustic.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
9,836 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Horsetooth Reservoir Camping cabins

http://www.ymcarockies.org/specials.htm

For $99 a night plus you get the 3rd night free, you can stay in a basic 2 bedroom cabin with a kitchen (pots, pans, etc.) and all linens provided at the YMCA of the Rockies Estes Park Center. They have great mountain views and wildlife roam the grounds. Check their many very good reviews here on TA.

As I said on your other post at tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28927-i252-k60360…

there are many lodging specials in mid-April for Estes Park.

For Fort Collins, look at www.americinn.com/Hotels/CO/FtCollinsSouth

We stayed here when we were house hunting and it was just fine, nice and clean. They also have good reviews here on TA.

Fort Collins has many hotel options so places like priceline, expedia and orbitz may get you a great deal.

3. Re: Horsetooth Reservoir Camping cabins

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 pm, April 17, 2014